You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys,

I'm using Affinity Photo for Windows and can't seem to find how to adjust the direction of a gradient stroke added to text, all I'm presented with is the attached? The Fill isn't a problem as that's controlled by clicking the Gradient icon.

Thanks in advance

Neil

post-48-0-31689600-1486116063_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi Neil,

If you're wanting to have text with no Fill but a gradient Stroke, this method will work. Select the text with the stroke setup, then on the Effects panel enable Gradient Overlay. Now click the small gear icon, here you can set the gradient and set the angle. 

If you have access to Affinity Designer it's easier and you have better control, with the text setup and selected. You can use the Gradient Tool changing the drop down to Stroke. You can then adjust the gradient and angle by moving the nodes that appear over the text.

You can use an outline layer effect to add a gradient to the stroke at any angle

post-17958-0-59810700-1486121936_thumb.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I'm using Affinity Photo for Windows and can't seem to find how to adjust the direction of a gradient stroke added to text, all I'm presented with is the attached? The Fill isn't a problem as that's controlled by clicking the Gradient icon.

I suggest using the Fill tool. Change the context to Stroke (at left of the Fill context toolbar), change the type to Linear (or whatever) and drag the fill handles how you want.

People don't always seem to find the Fill tool, but it's often the easiest way to edit gradients.

I suggest using the Fill tool. Change the context to Stroke (at left of the Fill context toolbar), change the type to Linear (or whatever) and drag the fill handles how you want.

People don't always seem to find the Fill tool, but it's often the easiest way to edit gradients.

Where is the Fill Tool in Photo? I cant find it. :(

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

MEB - you're right. I mostly work on Designer and Publisher so I hadn't realised Photo didn't have the Context control. And it's an oversight. We'll get this put in for 1.6.

Carl123, it's actually called the Gradient tool and it's the thing that looks like a CD player about a third of the way down the list of tools on the left.

@Dave Harris

Thanks, I know the Gradient Tool quite well.  Just thought I was missing another Tool somewhere

I have wondered about Photo calling it the Gradient tool and Designer calling it the Fill tool. Perhaps one of them should be renamed for more consistency across the applications.  ;)

I think that is a great idea, & I also think it should be called the Gradient tool in both apps, because I doubt anybody normally uses it for anything besides creating gradients. It is confusing enough that in AD is called the Fill tool & has both a Fill & a Stroke context; if Photo gets that too it is going to confuse more people.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think that is a great idea, & I also think it should be called the Gradient tool in both apps, because I doubt anybody normally uses it for anything besides creating gradients. It is confusing enough that in AD is called the Fill tool & has both a Fill & a Stroke context; if Photo gets that too it is going to confuse more people.

If they do see fit to change it, maybe they'll also change the tooltip to 'Gradient Tool'. It's currently just 'Gradient', and when I queried this during the APh on Windows public beta test I was told this was by design. Apart from questions of documentation and parity with the Mac version, there was some silly nonsense about keeping it short; the latter ignores the fact that there are some much longer tooltips such as 'Inpainting Brush Tool'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)