You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sunset

Yay, it's a girl thing - pretty shoes. I like to draw things like these as if they are being worn but without the wearer, so you can't see the other side of the shoe, I like the effect.

post-29-0-19733500-1417209161_thumb.png

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

I have a question - I like to construct individual items, like the shoe, which I will then incorporate in a design later.

Exporting as slices is easy, I've got that, but how do I bring the exported image back into a new design - I can't find an import?

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

My Flickr Album

Or you can place the affinity design by going  to file > place or  by using the place image tool. Now that will link the the file but I do not believe that embeds the file. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that assumption.  If I am correct that means if you move the file you must also move it association to the file its placed in with it otherwise when you open your file with a moved placed image it will loose its association to that placed image. I believe that is one of the highlighted features in Affinity Designer. It a type of live linking association between Affinity Designer  files. This Features allows you too make changes in a link design file and have it update live in your current design that you have placed it in. Now this does not happen when you place an graphic or a copy and paste vector art from one file into the other. I think this only happens with  Affinity files not pixel based graphics. I have to test that theory but what important here is how you import graphics into the application by using the two I described also copy and paste works as well.

Thank you for that, I shall see what I can make of it.

I have a feeling that this might be easier in the next phase, when the photography program is available . What I want to do is not dissimilar to creating a collage of images which will remain editable - or even to create an image in Affinity Designer which has several elements and then re-use one or more of those elements on a new, different, image. We shall see how it goes :)

My Flickr Album

Hi Sunset, until something like "symbols" comes along for Designer, shouldn't you be able to group your objects together as 1 object, then copy them around to create a collage while still having the ability to edit either the entire group or a piece of the group? You could spread them over different layers as well in case you wanted to lock or hide individual objects. Unless I'm not understanding what you mean, you should be able to do this now in Designer. 

• Staff

@Ronnie

Using File -> Place... will embed the file in your affinity document (there's no association with the original file).

What you're referring to is called Linked documents (rather than Embedded documents) and those do keep an association with the original file meaning that if you move the original file to other folder/drive in Finder you will break the link and your affinity document will not be able to display it anymore. Currently Affinity Designer only support embedded documents.

Hi Sunset, until something like "symbols" comes along for Designer, shouldn't you be able to group your objects together as 1 object, then copy them around to create a collage while still having the ability to edit either the entire group or a piece of the group? You could spread them over different layers as well in case you wanted to lock or hide individual objects. Unless I'm not understanding what you mean, you should be able to do this now in Designer. 

Hi, I see what you mean, but imagine that I do both shoes, a dress and a hat and make a fashion collage. Then next week I start a new document, thinking of doing something dark and scary with a city alley and I think - that shoe I did would be great sitting by itself on top of a dustbin lid - I can export it from my fashion collage, but how do I get it onto my dustbin? :D :D :D That's where I"m thinking that I might be able to do it when the next program comes out.... .......... :)

My Flickr Album

... you shouldn't need to export/import it, just copy your shoe (if your shoe is on it's own layer or it's grouped it'll be easier) from the fashion scene and paste it into the alley scene.

Yes, I can do that, even better if I could save all my random elements in a folder so that they will be easy to find in the future :D

These things will come, I'm sure, meanwhile I'll just build up my stash :) Thanks :)

My Flickr Album

Like retro said no need for importing exporting. Iif you are organized then it should be easy to find anything then you can also use the Affinity Designer built in Media manager to search based on your naming convention. It really important to use good file naming conventions to be able to search for your image assets.

The  Affinity media manager gives you a great way to view your art assets vis the scaleable thumbnail slider. With this feature you can search for your assets and drag and drop them into a scene.  But to do this a good naming convention should be considered. you may also want to consider how your Affinity file are set up. I can think of several scenarios might have to do a video on that one day.

This can be as easy or as complicated as you want to make this, it really depends on you and your workflow. What I have  explained here is a good thing to think about and also develop a habit of doing. I think this way because I have worked on a projects that had many artist group clusters from all around the world working on many different aspects of a project and it was so important  to establish a naming convention that all the teams could share and agree upon. You might not ever work group project, you might even be a solo artist but you will save yourself a lot of headache and a faster workflow once you established how you be organizing files as well as layers. Seems like a bit much for one off projects but one day you might require it and sound like you are already thinking in this direction. Maybe I just overthinking the actual simplicity of what your asking lol. O well just something to think about. Good Luck!

Back to Basics :) The answer is that I can't import, but there are other ways  of bringing in an illustration that has been saved elsewhere. I am a team of one and not planning to expand :D :D :D Filing is no problem, lols, I've been doing that since 1988!!

Thank you all for your input and your interesting ideas :)

My Flickr Album

Thanks Ronnie, I'll have to take a look at that media manager...

Yah, It is not talked about much. I think it could use a bit of working on. It is kinda bare minimum at the moment but it still has some usefulness.

• Staff

The manager is definitely not mentioned much, you're right - but that's because we have grand plans for it and as of right now it's just in its infancy... It will hopefully become your go-to place for all the things you've stored as reusable elements, just as Ronnie suggested. We'll get there soon - just typing on lots of other things at the same time, but we'll get there sooner than you think :)

Matt

Yup, I had no doubt you guys were working on it. It felt like the beginning of a grand plan to me. :) Excitement around every corner of this application :)

Ahah, just wait a week or two and you'll see... ^_^

Ohh, man did you did you hear that? That was not the sound of a little school girl screamimg... Yah, that was me.

MEB you tease. I cant wait!

You developer team is unbelievable !!!

And by that I mean GREAT !!

I second with Ronnie that file name conventions, as well as keeping a well-thought-out directory structure is all important

to save you a lot of grief later on. Believe it or not , I learned the hard way : in DOS  :)

Yes, I am THAT old ....

Maybe not DOS, but I started in business with an Amstrad PCW in 1988 :) I sometimes think it's sad that I enjoy my digital filing and organising as much as I enjoy learning the Macbook Pro and Affinity. I always felt sorry for a lad whose job was to file paper all day, he wasn't paid very much and hated his very boring job. I didn't know whether to tell him that he was the most important person in the accountancy firm, everything depended on whether he placed each piece of paper in the right file. If I had told him that (and I had no authority to raise his pay accordingly) there could have been two possible outcomes. A) the lad would have been so, so happy that he cheered up, smiled at everyone, filed paper meticulously and lived a charmed life thereafter, or B) nothing was actually going to change, he would still spend all day in a tiny room placing pieces of paper in files and for no extra money, in which case he might have reasoned that he could exact much pain upon his miserable colleagues, and possibly bankrupt the firm, by deliberately mis-filing the papers........................  I chose not to say anything :)

YES! Matt, this sounds exceedingly interesting!!!!

My Flickr Album

One idea for now: why not create a document of A2 size and store your pieces on the canvas. Subdivide it into various flavours, then call it a mood board. This should do for a while, until DrawPlus's save-your-work-as-clipart tab is implemented into AD

.gallery_tab_gallery_selectcategory.jpg

I hope the workable paste board area will be that little new arrival.

DOS 6.22 is a lot more workable than machine code 0123456789abcdef. Did it at college 20 yrs ago, hated it 20 lines of text just to add up two numbers :angry: .

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

I have certainly missed the workable pasteboard area - it would be very handy for storing my colours - for when you are just playing with Affinity, I like to put squares of colour on a pasteboard so that I can pick them up when I want them and as a guide for my colour palette. I like the moodboard idea, too, that's always workable.

I remember being seconded to Banner Textiles (school uniform and flowery shirts) and spending a couple of days in their big computer department - cards being punched and verified by girls on piece work and hard disk drives looking like covered dinner plates in Downton Abbey - and the programmer trying out a new program but being limited to a 64K core :)

My Flickr Album