You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

the line/bezier work of Affinity designer

Ha! Not sure how #5 became the acid test  :D .

I did not mean to suggest that it was. I was just thinking about it in sort of philosophic terms, as in at what point does it become necessary to add more nodes to follow an arbitrary contour, or if there is a way to define the minimum number of nodes for some "class" of shapes (or how to define what a class is).

For example, is your 6 node example in the same "class" as the attached or a different one? (I have no clue about that.)   :wacko:

post-3524-0-00982200-1487070175_thumb.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I gave it a go, and it didn't work well. I could not keep the area width even. In order to get the top portion notably larger than the the portion that tapered down towards the middle, I ended up w. a skewed width. I could get the distance between the sides to be the same, but the widths above and below were variable so a centerline would not have been quite circular.

I suppose the rule is that to create a point of inflection, where the curve x or y values change requires 2 nodes. Because there is a slight inflection near the top, another set of nodes are needed.

FWIW, I did the expand stroke routine on my version of the original pressure variation line, and exported it a .svg. I opened it in Inkscape, and took a look at the nodes. There were 3000 - 4000. I used Inkscapes smooth command and it reduced to 20. The file size went from 100 K to 3. My hand drawn ended up at 1.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

FWIW, I did the expand stroke routine on my version of the original pressure variation line, and exported it a .svg. I opened it in Inkscape, and took a look at the nodes. There were 3000 - 4000. I used Inkscapes smooth command and it reduced to 20. The file size went from 100 K to 3. My hand drawn ended up at 1.

I got similar results by exporting the expanded stroke version to svg & opening that in Designer, although I did not try to count all the nodes. In that respect, it is too bad that when selecting multiple nodes with the Node tool, the Context toolbar does not show the number of selected nodes, similar to how the Move tool displays the number of selected objects.

Among other things, that would help identify coincident nodes (which I noticed my final step 5 example had at the center of each top curve).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

...I was just thinking about it in sort of philosophic terms, as in at what point does it become necessary to add more nodes to follow an arbitrary contour, or if there is a way to define the minimum number of nodes for some "class" of shapes (or how to define what a class is).

For example, is your 6 node example in the same "class" as the attached or a different one? (I have no clue about that.)   :wacko:

= If you can figure that out, please let Affinity know. They need some help.  :rolleyes: 

Played a little more. Pushed it as far as I could take it.

A flavor a side.

post-12544-0-25669600-1487105643.png

Yeah, AF SVG conversion has serious issues. Not only are there a MEGA-LOT of nodes, they're also all sharp. No Bezier info at all.

And, often times, the curves (as you've just seen) aren't closed properly.

post-12544-0-25669600-1487105643_thumb.png