You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Another 'cant subtract' thread

Hey Guys

I just cant get subtract to work. 

Layer 1; an oval (curve)

Layer2; a carbon fibre pattern, (curve)

When I try to get the oval subtracted from the pattern, the only option for boolean is 'divide'

Could someone please help me to understand why these two layers dont play nice?

Thanks

Jim

subtract.afdesign

Layer2; a carbon fibre pattern, (curve)

Your "carbon" layer is not a curve. It is a group of 6300 curves in a 140 by 45 grid, each with a gradient. That's why the subtract action won't work.

PixelPest's suggestion should work if that is what you want.

For the future, since there is so much repetition in the carbon group, you might consider using Symbols to make the file size smaller, & to make it easier to change the pattern you want.

Attached is a quick & dirty example using symbols for the rows.

subtract & symbols.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You can't use Boolean operations on layers. The best I can think of right now is to create a rectangle the same size of the pattern and subtract the oval from that and use the new shape as a mask on the pattern layer

That might work but Im stuck on what you did to get to that. 

I tried 'undo' to follow the steps but didnt work.

Tried replicating it but couldnt get the same result

Please advise process so I can understand what this is?

Thanks

J

I did much the same thing as PixelPest. Slightly different method, but aimed at the same result. The huge group in the layer needs a mask. However you make the oval, or any other shape, the vector shape must be dragged right next to the group icon. It will be inserted as a mask, and the carbon fiber group will only be displayed within that.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I copied the oval from its own layer to the carbon layer. Then it was possible to drag to confine the carbon pattern to the oval. See attached.

post-32939-0-21354200-1486217297_thumb.png

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

What do you mean by "Slightly different method"? That´s exactly what the screen-grab shows.

Cheers

P.

I made the oval in a different method, but then inserted it the same way as in your illustration

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet