afinally

Why won't pen-made shapes fill properly?

I apologize if this is a common topic, but I searched and none of the solutions have worked. I made a shape using the pen tool, and when I try to fill it, it ends up doing this (see photo). The photo is zoomed in because I can't show the entire project yet, but that's not important. Why does it do this and how can I fill the shape? I don't know why there's straight lines going through the shape, I didn't put them there... they appeared when I tried to fill the entire shape. Any advice please? This is a recurring issue and it's really preventing me from moving forward. Thanks!

post-50954-0-52148100-1486092711_thumb.png

Open curves fill across a straight line connecting their end points. Try closing the curve (on the Context menu, the second Action button) & see if that helps.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1