You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting a PSD in Affinity Photo, HELP!!

HELP!

I've tried searching here and couldn't find an answer to my problem.

I made a photography template. I figured since I import templates in PSD format I could export it the same way. Well, when I go to export in PSD format, and then reopen, everything that was suppose to be in text is now a pixel layer. I'm making templates for others so I need the text layers to be editable, but they are not when I go to reopen them. Is there something I am missing? How do I keep it a layer in it's text and not pixel when I export psd?

Pictures below to show what I'm talking about if it helps.

Thanks!

post-30934-0-32064800-1486073529_thumb.png

post-30934-0-54873200-1486073533_thumb.png

I ask the same question about my filter layes changing for a pixel layer. You can find the answer at this link. https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/34949-ap-15154-windows-filter-layers-changing-to-pixel-layer-with-a-psd-file/

Ok so went and looked and read what chris said in reply to you, and I'm a little lost by what he said. Can you maybe explain it to me?

Here's what he said so it's here and all

"These particular adjustment layers are rasterised in PSD export as they are not adjustment layers in you can apply PS. This is the only way we can keep the appearance of the adjustment whilst allowing the maximum compatibility possible. The pixel layers themselves will be a solid rasterisation of the the image with the adjustment layer as well as the other adjustments beneath it on the stack. Therefore unticking something underneath it will not show until you hide this pixel layer. If you are not transferring the file to another app afterwards you can keep the adjustments as is by saving to afphoto"

I think the last comment from MEB in this post explains it. 

"Currently it's not possible to export text as native PSD text when exporting to PSD. We do intend to implement this in a future version but it may still take a little since it's not something easy to achieve."

Len

--------------------

Over the hill, and enjoying the glide.

Ok so went and looked and read what chris said in reply to you, and I'm a little lost by what he said. Can you maybe explain it to me?

Here's what he said so it's here and all

"These particular adjustment layers are rasterised in PSD export as they are not adjustment layers in you can apply PS. This is the only way we can keep the appearance of the adjustment whilst allowing the maximum compatibility possible. The pixel layers themselves will be a solid rasterisation of the the image with the adjustment layer as well as the other adjustments beneath it on the stack. Therefore unticking something underneath it will not show until you hide this pixel layer. If you are not transferring the file to another app afterwards you can keep the adjustments as is by saving to afphoto"

I think that you should ask chris about it because I don't have enough experience to explain it to you.

Here' an other link :

This is about "Affinity Designer" but also applies to "Affinity Photo".

However only for ... 

- PSD imported from Photoshop and with minor inconveniences

- PSD export (text layer becomes > pixel layer> but when reopened in "Affinity Photo" will still be editable

This means that export as PSD format and imported in Photoshop isn't editable at all .. at this moment

According to my experience

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• 2 months later...

Hello:

Just tried to export a simple file I created in Affinity photo with some text layers as a PSD file.

Opened it in Photoshop and noticed all text layers are NOT editable. Wasn't aware of this limitation.

Tried different options and chose Preserve accuracy and preserve editability but both are the same...

Hope a better export option for PSD is in the road map. 

This would help A LOT for people to adopt Affinity Photo as their photo editor. (And help us that are using it now for production work so we can hand off editable PSD files )  :)

Thanks for the hard work.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

So here's Adobe's published specification for its proprietary PSD & PSB file formats: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/photoshop/fileformatashtml/

To fully support exporting to these formats (including editable layers), the Affinity products would need to map their own internal document structures / data to those represented by the formats, or develop complex structure / data translations where such mapping isn't one-to-one. In some cases, this may not even be possible. I imagine such an undertaking would be none of quick, easy nor inexpensive.

Len

--------------------

Over the hill, and enjoying the glide.

I was used to opening Illustrator files in Affinity Designer and having my text preserved so I assumed Affinity Photo would be the same; but  it sounds like it's going to be a difficult task..  :(

Hopefully in the version 2 or somewhere along the line it could be solved.

It sounds like a small thing but I think it's something people moving over from photoshop would expect to have.

I'm using A Photo now in my day to day work and wanted to hand off/export an  editable PSD but I guess we'll have to wait a little bit more.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

• Staff

So here's Adobe's published specification for its proprietary PSD & PSB file formats: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/photoshop/fileformatashtml/

To fully support exporting to these formats (including editable layers), the Affinity products would need to map their own internal document structures / data to those represented by the formats, or develop complex structure / data translations where such mapping isn't one-to-one. In some cases, this may not even be possible. I imagine such an undertaking would be none of quick, easy nor inexpensive.

We know about the PSD format specification, but this is only part of the story.  The specification is in no way complete or well explained.

The working of the Text Engine is undocumented.  We have our own text engine, which is different to the Ad0be one.  We import editable text from PSD as best we can, but we have to convert the data. PSD export requires us to do even more work - it is an area which we hope to do in the future, but will take some considerable effort. It's not enough to say that we will just offer "editable text" - it also has to have as small amount of differences when the exported PSD is loaded into Photoshop.  Not easy to do, and not something you will find other (if any) third party apps doing.

From experience, we've not found another third party app that can fully support editable text import from PSD.  We've only recently worked out how to deal with part of it after some considerable effort.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB