You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Would it be possible to provide a sample file so I can test this?

And considerably more information about the camera, computer and operating system in use.

CR2s open and convert just fine (if a bit slowly, but that's already well-discussed) in Photo on my machine - Canon 7DMk II full CR2s; Win 8.1, AMD FX-4300 Quad Core 3.8GHz processor, Radeon R7260X graphics card, 16 gb RAM.

Keith Reeder

Hi psaudio

Welcome to the forum :)

Would it be possible to provide a sample file so I can test this?

Sure. It's a Canon 5DMKII. The RAW files are Canon without anything fancy. I can certainly upload one. How do I do that?

The computer is a MAC, the first Intel dual core. I'll copy the exact model when I get to work.

Hi, it runs with the second loading, the first only gave a part of the image, with the apple raw engine (>Assistent - first row - then assistent down left) With the serif-engine there is an image but not usefull. regard lars

post-46354-0-69381300-1486147700_thumb.jpg

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

AlainPs image is the same I get with affinty raw engine. lars

EDIT: opening the file in mac preview I first see the whole image, but than only a square up left, the rest grows black; that´s what I saw first using aff. mac-raw engine. Finder gives it exact, anotzer programm I used too.

lars

• Staff

Hey psaudio, if you try various 5D Mark 2 sample files (e.g. from PhotographyBLOG) you should find they decode fine in Photo using the SerifLabs engine.

I noticed that your .cr2 file resolves to around 9MP - are you shooting sRAW or mRAW rather than full resolution? That may be the source of the issue, as the structure of mRAW and sRAW data is different and may not be supported with our raw engine. Have you tried shooting in normal RAW and opening those files?

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hey psaudio, if you try various 5D Mark 2 sample files (e.g. from PhotographyBLOG) you should find they decode fine in Photo using the SerifLabs engine.

I noticed that your .cr2 file resolves to around 9MP - are you shooting sRAW or mRAW rather than full resolution? That may be the source of the issue, as the structure of mRAW and sRAW data is different and may not be supported with our raw engine. Have you tried shooting in normal RAW and opening those files?

I switched it to RAW as you suggested (thanks for that - somehow it got switched). Here's a new link to a RAW file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29359233/IMG_4056.CR2.zip

It still crashes the program as does the sample RAW from the website you suggested.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for posting these interesting findings; I'm learning a lot from you! For what it's worth, I have a Canon 80D and almost always shoot in full sized RAW. Since I'm on Mac Yosemite (10.10) and Apple won't offer their RAW converter for this OS, I've been using Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4 or Affinity Photo / Serif Labs converter. Affinity Photo crashed only when I had Apple's RAW engine selected in it; switching to Serif's resolved that.

I just updated Canon DPP to version 4.5.20 and found it to be a much better performing one than version 4.4. When using DPP, I convert the RAW files to .TIF. This may not work for you in the long run, but it may get you out of a bind on a case-by-case basis.

Best Regards, and thanks again for posting your findings ;-)

I switched it to RAW as you suggested (thanks for that - somehow it got switched). Here's a new link to a RAW file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29359233/IMG_4056.CR2.zip

It still crashes the program as does the sample RAW from the website you suggested.

This file opens very well in AP under WIn 10.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Hi, the new ...4056... works with both engines well. lars

EDIT: the apple engine ist a little bit brighter, may be a little sharper and it shows a little bit more of the image.

• Staff

Hmm, bizarre. Your provided (full res) RAW file opens fine here in both SerifLabs and Apple Core Image. The mRAW and sRAW formats clearly aren't supported properly with the SerifLabs engine, but the crashing you're experiencing is a separate issue considering it occurs with regular RAW files from the mk2 (which is most definitely supported in Photo).

Reading back through the posts, another factor might be your OS; the apps are developed to be as backwards-compatible as possible, but Lion is on the cusp of compatibility and there may still be some issues. Raw development had a major overhaul in 1.5 (32-bit unbounded editing in a wider colour space) so there might be something happening there.

Just a couple of suggestions; have you tried opening any other RAW formats to see if the issue is more widespread? I've uploaded a couple of images from my very recent camera, one of which was taken with the high res (80MP) mode. If anything is going to crash Photo, it'd be these files. You can get them here (click on one then find the download button at the top right): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7g7ERAseTZmNjNEelN2SjViX2s

Also, could you try disabling automatic lens corrections just to rule that out? You can do this without having to open a RAW file. If you launch Photo then click on the Tuxedo icon at the top, it will take you to the Assistant dialog. From there, click the button saying Develop Assistant to move to it (usually you have to be in Develop to access this). Then change Apply Lens Corrections to Take No Action and try opening your RAW file.

[Edit] Additionally, are you still on the App Store version of Photo or running the customer beta? I'd advise trying the customer beta as it contains some bug fixes that may help, you can download it from here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/33624-affinity-photo-customer-beta-152-beta-3/- it just runs alongside the official release and doesn't interfere with it.

Thanks for your patience, I'm hoping we can figure out what's going wrong here. The next step would be to upload a crash report if possible.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for posting these interesting findings; I'm learning a lot from you! For what it's worth, I have a Canon 80D and almost always shoot in full sized RAW. Since I'm on Mac Yosemite (10.10) and Apple won't offer their RAW converter for this OS, I've been using Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4 or Affinity Photo / Serif Labs converter. Affinity Photo crashed only when I had Apple's RAW engine selected in it; switching to Serif's resolved that.

I just updated Canon DPP to version 4.5.20 and found it to be a much better performing one than version 4.4. When using DPP, I convert the RAW files to .TIF. This may not work for you in the long run, but it may get you out of a bind on a case-by-case basis.

Best Regards, and thanks again for posting your findings ;-)

I was afraid of that. Unfortunately, my Mac is old enough I am at the end of my rope when it comes to upgrades. No more are available.

The RAW workflow is essential to my workflow. I bought this program in the hopes of replacing Photoshop and not paying their monthly ransom.

Oh well. I guess $50 isn't too much to risk in that hope.

Back to Photoshop.

Just a couple of suggestions; have you tried opening any other RAW formats to see if the issue is more widespread? I've uploaded a couple of images from my very recent camera, one of which was taken with the high res (80MP) mode. If anything is going to crash Photo, it'd be these files. You can get them here (click on one then find the download button at the top right): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7g7ERAseTZmNjNEelN2SjViX2s

I downloaded the large RAW file (_1120213.ORF) and opened it in Photo on my Windows computer....

It is indeed very demanding on computing power ! So here is what I got, hoping that it could help.

I started Affinity Photo and opened the file. It took 4 min. 20 sec before I could start to work on the file. During this time I could hear the HD grinding, as RAM usage got almost to 4 GB.

I just move the Black Point slider a little, and clicked on "Develop".... grinding again and computer unresponsive.

After 1 min 10 sec the "Progress Bar" box appearead, but any progress has ever been shown.

It took 13 minutes before AP gave me back control. I just exported the file in JPG, it took almost 17 seconds before it was done, but the computer seemed a little sluggish, like in "recovery" mode.

During these 13 minutes, I monitored CPU usage and RAM. CPU was very very low most of the time, sometimes as low as .4 % with some peeks at around 20 %. But RAM usage was growing up, 3,6 GB. But.... it never crashed.

I don't have a speedy computer, Windows 10, Intel i3 550 with integrated HD Graphics, 6 GB RAM. But AP runs (normally) very fine on it, as everything else.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"