PaulHatton

Visibility of Symbols is linked to all instances

Having defined a symbol and then created several instances in (say) a layer. You can't switch off/on the visibility of any one instance separately - all instances are either on or off. 

The visible property should be attached to the instance not the symbol definition.

Good catch … unticking the visibility checkbox of the parent (“Symbol”) in the layers list should only affect the single instance, while unticking the visibility checkbox for the children of “Symbol” should have the effect described …  :)

Hi PaulHatton

It would be more beneficial than having this show/hide all at once so I will get this logged. In the meantime if you turn of sync on the Symbols panel you can hide individual instances without affecting the others, however you need to remember to turn it back on again to do global edits

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

And I would say, it is not only more beneficial, but dictated by the logic behind symbols as well. Remember that you can resize and transform the container that is named “Symbol” in the layers list without affecting other instances …  :)

I'm here too. But also I tries to apply effects to single instance of a symbol. Effects are applied to all instances instead! That's not what I expected.

Consider having some shape as symbol which you'd want to recolour with "Colour Overlay". It could be light and dark logo variants etc.

Another effect of the same bug…

Setting the Blend Mode of a Symbol affects all instances of that Symbol.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

ScreenToGIF (Open Source, Portable, ~610kB)

On 8/31/2017 at 9:32 AM, Chris_K said:

This is still with the development team at the moment

Still nothing?!? This makes the symbols unusable.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135, Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135. Affinity Store.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.195.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

So I found some (provisional) solution - the local instance of the Symbol must be encapsulated in the Group.

Then you can set it only on this single instance (on Group, not Symbol) - visibility, additional fx properties, blend mode, etc.

Usability is fairly good, each symbol after is created is encapsulated in the group, and then I do not directly copy the symbols but these groups, so there is not much work in addition.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135, Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135. Affinity Store.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.195.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.