You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

First Affinity Photo Composite

ewforbess

I just recently purchased Affinity Photo for Windows, and I'm loving it!  I decided to try my hand at a composite photo, so here it is.  I wanted to put my subject in the least likely geographic location I could imagine, and I thought an Edinburgh Castle guard on Bourbon Street would work.  I call it, "Castle Guard on Leave."  Your thoughts?

post-49529-0-94398600-1486056135_thumb.jpg

Very engaging image. Some info on process would help me form some opinions and comments.

Thanks for the reply, Aeros4!  Not much to cover as far as post processing.  The original image is an existing light night shot -- f/7.1 at 1/25 sec, ISO 800.  I adjusted darks down a bit and increased neon lights up a bit as well.  I also increased contrast slightly in the lights.  The castle guard photo was a daytime shot.  After selecting him using the lasso tool, I refined the selection to keep the detail in the border of the fur hat, then imported him into the New Orleans shot.  Since it was a daytime shot, I decreased exposure to keep it from looking unnatural and overpowering the night shot on Bourbon Street.  Other than that, I painted out one ugly electrical cord and decreased the exposure on the man's white t-shirt at the extreme left of the photo so it didn't detract from the main subject. 

I hope that helps -- I started in photography on a camera that you only see in museums now (over 50 years ago), but I'm pretty green as far as Affinity Photo goes!

Thanks again!

I like the photo! compliments on your first go!.

If any could be said to improve then maybe lighten up some darker areas a bit. maybe your next challenge mastering Affinity :-)   But hey: great photo! great artistic idea too.

--Dutchie

Thanks, Dutchie! I've got lots of raw material to start with, and I'm looking forward to the practice...

E. W.