You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beginner Designer Tutorial for Tracing a Logo?

I've never used designer or illustrator but I would like to learn. Affinity photo has been great and easy to progress through so I'm hoping designer may be as well. I thought about contracting it out, but I may need to do more as this project moves along.

My wife is opening a store and her brother hand drew a logo and we would like to create a digital copy of it. I'm imagining importing it into designer and tracing over the top to make clean lines so I can have a high resolution image of it. Before I buy, is there a tutorial, or maybe a set of tutorials I could watch so I can see how feasible this may be before I buy? 

• Staff

Hi Anonymoustache,

You can find a tutorial on tracing in Affinity Designer below :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91mnE8fLDJg

The tutorial uses the Pen Tool which you can find more information for here:

https://vimeo.com/107567054

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Affinity Photo also has a Pen Tool (on the same toolbar flyout as the Node Tool, both sharing the keyboard shortcut [P]). Affinity Designer is great to have for other reasons, but if you only need to trace a logo then you may well find that Affinity Photo does all you need for now.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Affinity Photo also has a Pen Tool (on the same toolbar flyout as the Node Tool, both sharing the keyboard shortcut [P]). Affinity Designer is great to have for other reasons, but if you only need to trace a logo then you may well find that Affinity Photo does all you need for now.

I thought that might be the case. So I'm guessing I can create a layer above and draw over the top? (I'm not at home to try it) Its mostly straight lines so I really just need to drag nodes and connect the dots.

I thought that might be the case. So I'm guessing I can create a layer above and draw over the top? (I'm not at home to try it)

Exactly. Or rather, almost, since a layer is created for you automatically when you start to draw.

Its mostly straight lines so I really just need to drag nodes and connect the dots.

Another way to do it would be to draw a shape with the Polygon Tool, convert to curves and then use the Node Tool to move the existing nodes and/or add new ones.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)