davemac2015

Gaussian blur tool similar to Gradient or Transparency

Hi! I'd love to see a Gaussian Blur tool that acted similarly to the Transparency or Gradient tools ... You could have the blur get progressively heavier as you dragged the mouse pointer towards the edge of the object. Having the ability to have a "blur gradient" could make for some awesome effects!

Does anyone know of a way to duplicate this effect without the Affinity folks having to come up with a new widget tool?

Edited by davemac2015
Decided to add an additional sentence and a request if anyone knows of an alternative method

Hi davemac2015,

Here's an example: 

gaussian_blur_sample.afphoto

Select the Fill layer clicking on its thumbnail in the Layers panel and change to the Gradient/Fill Tool - adjust the handle on canvas to set the angle/position of the nodes. Note that what controls the effect along the handle axis is the opacity of the nodes in the Fill layer and not their colour (i've just set the colour of both nodes to red). The bottom node has its opacity set to 0% while the one on top has 100%.

49 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi davemac2015,

Here's an example: 

Select the Fill layer clicking on its thumbnail in the Layers panel and change to the Gradient/Fill Tool - adjust the handle on canvas to set the angle/position of the nodes. Note that what controls the effect along the handle axis is the opacity of the nodes in the Fill layer and not their colour (i've just set the colour of both nodes to red). The bottom node has its opacity set to 0% while the one on top has 100%.

Hi MEB,

This creates what looks like an Orton effect by varying the opacity of the blur. The middle portion is a blur with the contrasty image overlaid.

If the radius of the blur would be varied that would make it possible to create a gradually out-of-focus effect.

Maybe Field Blur better fits OP needs? (A further improvement of that filter would be support for blur radius driven by a pixel mask)

20 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi davemac2015,

Here's an example: 

Hi MEB,

Thanks for the tip - I appreciate it! I'm not sure yet if this is what I'm looking for, but I can already see some ways it could be really useful :) 

I guess what I was looking for is an "all-in-one" tool option, instead of having to apply a gradient fill to a Gaussian Blur; however, the tips you've both mentioned are going to be very useful, thank you!

19 hours ago, shojtsy said:

Hi MEB,

This creates what looks like an Orton effect by varying the opacity of the blur. The middle portion is a blur with the contrasty image overlaid.

If the radius of the blur would be varied that would make it possible to create a gradually out-of-focus effect.

Maybe Field Blur better fits OP needs? (A further improvement of that filter would be support for blur radius driven by a pixel mask)

That was just an example to show how a fill layer can control the effect of a filter (or adjustment). In that file i've used a gaussian blur because it was what the OP mentioned but it can be applied with any live filer/adjustment.

Ok, I'm probably going to sound like an idiot, but ... is there any way, other than importing into Photo, of applying the equivalent of a Live Filter to an object in Designer? For instance: if I had a rectangle that I wanted to go from smooth to blurred, left to right, is there a way of doing that? I was thinking of having a duplicate of the object blurred, then overlay it on the original object, then apply a transparency gradient to that ...