You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Guys, 

I was wondering (I've been searching) how to join 2 lines together that have "middle" nodes.

Say I've got a straight line with points A,B and C and another with 2 endpoints D and E. How do i go about joining the middle node (b) with the endpoint of the other line to make one unified "T" Piece?

When i have tried selecting the correct nodes and "Join Curves" it connects the 2 lines end points and not the middle nose as I wish.

Cheers

http://puu.sh/tJHUr/11fb4c20ea.png

(so connecting the bottom line node to the top lines middle)

• Staff

Hi Dylpickle,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can only join end nodes of paths. So in this case you can either place the lines in position visually and group them so they remain together (as independent objects), or convert both lines to shapes (menu Layer ▸ Expand Stroke) then with both still selected perform an Add boolean operation (menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Add). You will end up with a single shape (not lines) that looks the same as the two original lines.

Another alternative is to continue the top horizontal line creating another node over the one in the middle then proceed to bottom to complete the vertical line. So it means the segment of the right of the "T" is "duplicated".

• 3 weeks later...

When using "Join Curves" why aren't the selected nodes used for the join? Seems to be so much more logical. If there is no selection - then the default is the two closest nodes. Not having any way to influence how a join happens, and not letting a selection influence the result just feels wrong.

AffinityDesignerJoinCurves.png

• Staff

Hi Gatada,

I agree with you but currently it works as it does simply because there wasn't yet time/resources to improve things here. This is listed on our logs.

The dev teams are small and are doing the best they can to address users questions/concerns but there's simply no time to cover everything up that fast. They are already adding/improving features as quickly as they can.

• 1 year later...

Is this working in current version. I am having the what sounds like the same issue. The Simplest example I can think of:  I draw a V shape and a line. If I try to join one end of the line to the vertex of the V, it always joins to the closest endpoint of the V.  I need to join with the pointy side of the V. What am I missing

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @LFE. :)

43 minutes ago, LFE said:

Is this working in current version.

It still works exactly the same way as it did a year ago: it simply joins the closest two nodes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, LFE said:

I draw a V shape and a line. If I try to join one end of the line to the vertex of the V, it always joins to the closest endpoint of the V.  I need to join with the pointy side of the V. What am I missing

As MEB said in this earlier reply here, you can only join end nodes of paths so aside from not being able to select which end nodes of two paths to join there is no way to join a line to the pointy vertex of a V or any other similar shape (because there is no end node there). What you can do is snap one end node of the line to the node at the vertex & (optionally) group the two paths to make it easier to move or resize them as if they were a single joined object.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5aa244a7ed95c_ScreenShot3.png.1e25d6c132069a7fa97278eaac6ba9b1.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

So, A simple example. I would like to be able to join these two shapes by "margin" the straight lines in both. After the join, I would like to be able to manipulate the straight line and have both shapes follow. Seems to me a pretty common need. So the sequence would be as shown in the pictures. It works in this case because the blue area is on top of the red area. But rather than using the "Z" axis for this, wouldn't it be nicer if the blue and red areas shared the horizontal line. Am I missing something here ??

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 1.23.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 1.24.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 1.25.00 PM.png

This would be a desireable trait when drawing maps where mutual boundaries are identical. It woukd also be desireable where (say) a road was at the boundary to a wood.

I recall seeing that you can coerce two contiguous boundaries to be the same with one lying over the other, using geometry.  However, I cannot recall the actual procedure for this.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, LFE said:

Am I missing something here ??

No. There is no way for two separate paths to 'share' a segment. But it is easy enough to stack them & just adjust the segment on upper one to overlap the lower one to create that effect.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have a name for this Feature "Elastic Join" ;) wadda ya think? Or a catchier name would be "Boing Join" lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

22 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I have a name for this Feature "Elastic Join" ;) wadda ya think?

About that name, as little as possible. xD

There is a workaround of sorts for this, but it is not very elegant:

1. Select each of the two shapes in turn with the Node tool & add a node on the segment you want to move as if it was common to both.

2. Snap one of the added nodes to the position of the other added one.

3. Select both shapes with the Node Tool so you can see all their nodes.

4. Select both added nodes with a marquee drag.

5. Optionally convert both to smooth or smart nodes.

6. Drag both selected nodes to 'elastically' move the segment on both at the same time.

More betterer would be if two coincident segments could be 'warped' by dragging on both of them when both shapes are selected with the Node tool, but that doesn't work -- only one at a time can be warped.

Affinity Photo 

25 minutes ago, haakoo said:

** edit : you meant using the node handles as opposed to the node itself **

Actually, by warped I meant grabbing a segment between two nodes, where the Node Tool cursor gets a sine-curve shaped badge to indicate that a drag will bend the segment, changing both adjacent node handles at the same time.

I guess "bend" would have been a better choice. Sorry about that. :(

Affinity Photo 

Yes I got my answer, and thanks all for the confirmation. I guess I need to change my expectations. I am an engineer, and I have been looking at it as though it is an engineering oriented program. Need to think of it as a design/artistic product, and go with the flow. It is still the only reasonably priced alternative with this level of power. Also, I have been trying to use designer all in one plane. Its all about layering.

Again thanks for the input.