You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help identifying which operation I need?

Hi all, just registered on the forums. I'm a new Affinity Photo user, hoping to get familiar with the whole tool set but right now focused on a specific track. I tried to look through the tutorials but I'm not even sure what to call the operation I need to perform, so here goes, hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.

I'm in the process of learning to use Affinity Photo, and soon I'll be downloading Affinity Designer. Right now I've been tasked with learning how to to impose a flooring design into a photo of a room. 

My business is selling tile, and I need to be able to create a "floor" using 25 separate images of the tile faces, then put that floor onto a photo of a room (this will probably just be a stock photo; I also need to learn to alter stock photos to remove extra furniture, etc). The floor needs to be "underneath" all the furniture in the room, but "on top" of the actual floor in the photo.

Can anyone tell me what this is called and where I need to look for tutorials? I realize this is kind of specialized and I can't figure out what it's called.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

In AP I would practice on empty rooms (no furniture) until you understand how to "lay" the new floor.

I would not use 25 separate images of the tile faces.  Just use one image of all 25 tiles

The perspective tool is the one I used on my tile image to lay the new floor in the attached example.

The Inpainting Brush tool is best for removing objects from pictures but large furniture removal could be a problem 

post-17958-0-86091100-1485968023_thumb.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Look out for videos on Vimeo and YouTube covering "symbols" and "grids".

That's what you need.

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Thanks for the quick reply Carl!

Okay, I'll agree that it's best to start with an empty room. Right now I only have access to the 25 separate images. How do I make a floor image using these images? I need to be able to put them in different layouts too, rather than all on a set grid...

I'm slightly familiar with the perspective tool, and how to use it to lay images on top of another with an offset perspective. I'd been practicing by placing a logo on a sign outside our building.

If removing whole large pieces of furniture could be a problem, I don't necessarily need to do that. However, I will need to make the floor transparent where the furniture is. Any ideas there?

Thanks again!

Have you watched the tutorial on Sky Replacement? Although it's not a floor it is about how to select an area and replace it with an area from another image as well as how to get the best looking edges and also how to get the colour and tones to match. Also Layer Concepts may help with combining images to make your floor, Scaling and Transforming and Cutting Out tutorials may also be of use to you.

Enjoy,

Ed 

Replacing tiles is shown with the help of symbols "10 Affinity Designer - Jigsaw Puzzle [ DEUTSCH ] - Teil 1" at:

https://youtu.be/rpbQUSYNCfo
In german language but easy to follow visually. Excellent in idea and setup!

That link is only part one of two parts.
The fun side is that after establishing the system once another picture can be set up in a second.

The second part of the "Jigsaw puzzle Export Persona" example is becoming quite complicated but thats what learning is about in first place:

https://youtu.be/ST2pUlEbOxw

This video "06 Affinity Designer - Bauernkaro | Gingham | Vichy pattern mit Symbole Werkzeug [Deutsch]" may also to help you to understand the underlying symbols functionality fro constructing a gingham pattern - similar to a floor laying tile problem:

https://youtu.be/a5Vsx8KUGXQ

Sorry - only in German language but graphically easy enough to follow suite 

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

I've made to AD files just to get an idea.

In the first one you just see a simple pattern with wooden tiles. You can download the zip compressed file here: https://mensch-mesch...or.afdesign.zip

Wooden-tiles-02-500px.png  Wooden-tiles-01-500px.png

In the second one (Chevron pattern) I've saved the history with the file so that you can see my workflow. The compressed zip file you'll find here: https://mensch-mesch...rn.afdesign.zip

Chevron-tile-pattern-01.png

Just the seamless repeating chevron pattern.

On the left ArtBoard you can customize the pattern inside the unlocked symbol. The other symbols around are just for a preview and alignment of your pattern.

On the right ArtBoard I've used a png export of the single symbol from the left ArtBoard to fill a rectangle.

Hope this helps!

Find me on YouTube | Mensch Mesch | MeWe | Twitter | Pinterest

iMac27 5k 32 GB, MacBook Pro M1 | macOS 12.1 | iPad Pro2 | iOS 15.2

Affinity Designer 1.10.5 [macOS & iOS] | Affinity Photo 1.10.5 [macOS & iOS] | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5

In the second one (Chevron pattern) I've saved the history with the file so that you can see my workflow. The compressed zip file you'll find here: https://mensch-mesch...rn.afdesign.zip

This link gives a 404 error message

The point I did noch see is how one can distort the symbols in a way to mockup a real world side view like:.

post-40493-0-05648200-1486059080_thumb.png

Thanks für your reply. Dan send me a note, that the history is not inside my AD file. Sorry - no idea why :/

In this file the history should be available: https://mensch-mesch.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Chevron-pattern.afdesign.zip

@Dan

I've modified the seams in the sample as simple straight paths and group them. You can now change the seams in one step with the stroke panel.

Chevron-pattern-eurooak.png

Just the seamless eurooak repeating pattern

Keep on drawin'

Norbert

Affinity Designer 1.10.5 [macOS & iOS] | Affinity Photo 1.10.5 [macOS & iOS] | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5

And last but not least a herringbone pattern in AD. You can download the compressed file here: https://mensch-mesch.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/herringbone-pattern-walnut.afdesign.zip

herringbone-pattern-blackwalnut-round.pn

Just a sample with the pixel walnut herringbone pattern

Keep on drawin'

Norbert

I'm missing a a perspective distortion - its this somehow possible?

You can try to create the perspective distortion on your fill image/pattern while using the  Perspective Tool in Affinity Photo. AFAIK AD does not have that yet.

Problem is, how does that fit with the symbols functionality?

It doesn't fit yet. It's some manual work. Editing perspective distortion in AP, export as new file and import as new fill in AD. :(

It doesn't fit yet. It's some manual work. Editing perspective distortion in AP, export as new file and import as new fill in AD. :(

It was my logical mistake.

True enough. The basic problem is solved that way as the end result in Affinity Photo is done.

No re import needed.

• 2 weeks later...

So guys, I was able, with all of your help, to create the templates for the floor. Now I'm going through the painstakingly slow task of filling each tile with a different bitmap: I have 15 individual images for 5 colors of tile, totaling at 75 original images. I need the placement to look random; this is unfortunately impossible to accomplish by duplicating a pattern. 

Once I've finished with the first color I'll show you what I've got so far!