VVZ3n

[Fixed] Affinity Designer - SVG doesn't maintain scale when opened

[ macOS El Capitan 10.11.6, Affinity Designer 1.5.4 ]

Hi guys!

I've been working quite extensively with AD, testing it for producing artworks for a small laser cutting business I own.

And I must thank you since I managed to replace AI for 80% of the time!

(on the computer which controls the machine I have only installed AD)

But there are some bugs that I find here and then.  :D

Here's one: I created the attached file by code (example.svg), using the makerjs library and spitting out an svg with precise cm dimensions (as needed for laser cutting).

When I open it in AI, the size is fine (3x3cm total), when I open it in AD, it's 3x3px.

Am I doing something wrong?  :huh:

Thanks

PS: I also must say that when copying a layer from AD and pasting it in another AD document it doesn't maintain the scale. 

PPS: Is there a way to the Affinity to works always in cm as default?

example.svg

Owner of a laser cutting business && lover of generative design   |   http://vvzen.it

Hiya,

I'll get this logged for the developers to look into further, we do seem to be ignoring the units for the svg width/height (no matter what unit I change it to it does indeed seem to always assume px)

We also seem to be reading the stroke width incorrectly. However if I convert the width to 0.025 that will open correctly, but we could definitely be doing better.

I'll look into the scaling comment, and as far as i'm aware we should always remember the default unit chosen from within the new document dialog, or are you also looking for stroke width etc to be displayed in cm?

Thanks for reporting this.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Thanks for the quick answer!

The scaling issue: it's strange, it doesn't always happen. I pasted a 57.5x19.4mm layer into a 60x30cm document and it maintained the size. Then I pasted the same layer in a 215.9x169.8mm doc and it got scaled to 239.8x80.9mm

Regarding the default unit, I always launch new documents in cm, yet if I open a file its measures are in px.

I tried with a bunch of .svg files, I don't know if this happens also with .afdesign files (which I think should have the unit measure embedded in the file).

Also, I'd love to globally set (stroke width, transform, etc..) my unit measure to be cm or mm, for example.

:)

Owner of a laser cutting business && lover of generative design   |   http://vvzen.it

Just stumbled over the same problem.

I'm exporting SVG files from SketchUp (3D modeler) using a plugin (flightsofideas). AD is used to prepare the vector data to be CNC milled later.

The SVG carries mm as units, but AD always opens it as px.

As a workaround I found the I can change the document units to mm and also change dpi to 25.4. Then the dimensions of vectors are correct, however I have to adapt the document size, too.

It would be great if you find an easier workaround or, of course, fix the "blind" importing of units.

Cheers, Robert

On 10/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, Sean P said:

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next Mac release.

So how do we set the export units for the SVG? Mine only comes out with width/height at 100%

On 10/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, Sean P said:

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next Mac release.

Hi Serif Staff, you reported about to years ago this issue was resolved and the next Mac release would support the ability to export (and import?) SVG in units other than the incredibly awkward "pixel".

As of August, 2019 (version 1.7.2), the export behavior described above is exactly as described at the top of the thread. 

Is this feature hidden somewhere or still on the roadmap or? Having predictably sized SVG files is just as important for people targeting any sort of CNC (laser cutting, die cutting (Cricut, Silhouette), for import into other design tools like Fusion 360 - I do all of these).

Thanks for any help you can provide. I completely love Designer, but dimensioned SVGs are so important. DXF support would be wonderful, too, but SVGs would suffice.

Kevin

I'd still love to see the ability to select units for export.

I've discovered that setting my Affinity Designer document to "96 DPI" allows me import the exported SVG into Fusion 360 at the correct size.