You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

color management in affinity - trying to solve problems

as described already in another thread here, i am encountering (strange?) problems with colors in both designer and photo, especially for cymk-colours.

they kind of 'burn out' and are far too vibrant, so theres no way working with because they not nearly match whats expected.

rgb seems quite right to me so far, but i have to use both affinitys mainly for cymk-workflows regarding print.

so i have some questions that may be answered to get a grip on this and hopefully find a way towards a solution.

1. there are two options for rgb-profiles, one is called 'rgbu' - what do they exaclty refer to, and what is the difference between them regarding the use within affinity. more simple: why there are two?

2. is there any way, affinity works different regarding color-management than other applications like the adobe ones or corel does? the reason behind this is: the latter seems to do it right and (cymk-) colors are more or less close on screen - but not so in AF, although the profiles are set consistend and are the same thoughout all applications.

3. normally i would assume, all applications are using the screen-profiles that are defined in settings within OS - or win7 in this case. that means: every application uses this (in this case custom calibrated) profile as a basis to render according to the profiles set within the application itself... any other thing for affinity?

so what is completely driving me nuts is the fact, that i cant get affinity to show only slightly correct colors for cymk... and i dont have any clue why.

the awful thing is, that when emulating a srgb-space on my wide-gammut-monitors it seems to work far better, but i cant believe affinity wont be able to handle wide-gammut spaces...

affinity (at least designer) is buildt to use for design & graphics of course. and while print is (still) some great part of that i believe that one should be able to work within cymk without that hassle and be able to get a correct color-preview on screen even for that. right?

so the question to me is whats going wrong in that case???

is it affinity? is it me? is it another hard- or software? currently i am running out of ideas, but i have to solve this!

any hints and thoughts highly appreciated and thanks in advance

if more info is needed please be so kind and simply ask for it :-)

Color profile?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

I don't have the ISO COATED V2(IEC) profile but using FOGRA27 is giving me the colours I would expect.

If you could post you colour profile and a design where the colours don't look right then I will have a look.

I have no idea how relevant it is but possibly the ISO Coated v2 300%“ (ECI) forum topic from last May might be worth checking out.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I don't have the ISO COATED V2(IEC) profile but using FOGRA27 is giving me the colours I would expect.

If you could post you colour profile and a design where the colours don't look right then I will have a look.

you can download the profile from here if you want to try (half way down the page, the 'old' ones - eci_offset_2009 package), i am not on my working machine right now.

but the fogra profiles wont give me no correct colors eighter ... regardless of design or specific color - all of them are far too vibrant.

but may i ask again?

in which way exactly does affinity handle profiles? any differences towards PS, AI, ID or CDR???

and what about that 'rgbu'-thing precisely???

thanks in advance.

I have no idea how relevant it is but possibly the ISO Coated v2 300%“ (ECI) forum topic from last May might be worth checking out.

thanks, but the thread is about cmyk profiles, profiling and conversion (when or how) in general - not about problems with displaying them within applications ...

all right there but my problem is actually slightly different.

• Staff

you can download the profile from here if you want to try (half way down the page, the 'old' ones - eci_offset_2009 package), i am not on my working machine right now.

but the fogra profiles wont give me no correct colors eighter ... regardless of design or specific color - all of them are far too vibrant.

but may i ask again?

in which way exactly does affinity handle profiles? any differences towards PS, AI, ID or CDR???

and what about that 'rgbu'-thing precisely???

thanks in advance.

We handle profile just like PS and AI. We have a document space profile and then correct to the screen with the OS specified screen profile. I have done tests here and CMYK looks very similar to Adobe. 

news to this...

as the weather wasnt really great this weekend i did spend a 'litte' time on this issue in the warmth of the office.

with no real success - and for some time honestly completely doubted to all my knowledge on colour-management and how to set up things the right way ...
then gave up trying and did the following, as new profiling had to be done anyway within the next one or two weeks:

- deleted all assigned profiles within programs and os
- did a factory reset of both monitors
- calibrated them from scratch (three times each, to ensure consistent results/two hours only to this one)
- assigned the new monitor profiles within os
- assigned all profiles anew within all programs accordingly.
- did a complete reboot and started all programs one after another with a .pdf solely buildt for testing with several cmyk-targets.

after that, all programs showed no recognizable change in colors and behaved as before... but: tadaaa - affinity suddenly also worked as expected!
one might start some discussion now, about how close the screens are to printed targets (at all), but at last theres some good starting point to really dig into the affinitys!

i really dont know what went wrong the time installing affinity and not showing correct colors even the nearest. so i might only guess that affinity at first did not recognize something quite right according to color-settings...? only possibility to me, because there wasnt any change - not in calibration nor in colour-settings or deployed profiles within all programs, and also as before there wasnt any faulty setting anywhere.

so as this leaves me me still with some astonishment, it seems to be working as expected/intended for now (*knock on wood*).

thanks to TonyB and everybody who tried to help.
have to consider this as solved without knowing why ... :blink: