You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I "outline" text?

I am trying to design  business card using Moo software.  In their instructions they say you need to "Outline" the text before saving the design.  They provided instructions, the those instructions don't correspond to anything in Affinity Photo.   The instructions on how to do "Outline" the text in Photoshop can be found here:  https://support.moo.com/hc/en-gb/articles/202838754-My-PDF-contains-text-with-abnormal-size-values-how-do-I-outline-my-text-

Can you tell me how to do this is Affinity Photo?

Select your text. Go to the color panel where you can apply fill and stroke. If you want an outline only, click the no fill icon. Click the outline ikon to apply a stroke to your type. At the same time you can select the color of the stroke. Go to the stroke panel to adjust the width and alignment (outside, center, inside of stroke.)

I'm not very experienced with AD, so you will most likely get better advice. But this works for me.

I think what they mean is to convert your type to curves. This way you don't need to send the fonts with the file to them for printing. It converts your type into vector graphics.

To do this in Designer, select your type, go to the layers drop down and choose convert to curves. Personally I think this should be in the text drop down... and called something like convert type to curves.

You should keep a version of your file with the fonts intact first so you have a back up copy.

I think what they mean is to convert your type to curves. This way you don't need to send the fonts with the file to them for printing. It converts your type into vector graphics.

Yeah, comparing it with the linked descriptions that’s what they mean.

There is also a simple keyboard shortcut to convert anything to curves: Command-Return (Enter); or on Windows, I suppose it’s Control-Return.

To do this in Designer, select your type, go to the layers drop down and choose convert to curves. Personally I think this should be in the text drop down... and called something like convert type to curves.

You should keep a version of your file with the fonts intact first so you have a back up copy.

Do you know if this can be done in Affinity Photo, or do  I need the separate program, Designer?

There is something to be said for having an entry like that on the Text menu, since that's where you're most likely to look when you're working with text, but the option will have been placed where it is (and named the way it is) because you can convert other kinds of objects to curves.

The most obvious example is converting objects drawn with the Shape tools so that you can tweak them further. A less obvious example is the creation of a bitmap fill by placing an image on the canvas and converting it to curves; you can then copy it to the system clipboard, select one or more other objects and choose 'Paste Style' from the Edit menu to apply the fill to the selected object(s).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi johnricard,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, you can do this in Affinity Photo too. This conversion can also be done on export (PDF only) clicking the More button in the Export dialog and changing the Embed Fonts dropdown from All Fonts to Text as Curves.

Thank you.  This was very helpful.