You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import DWG, DXF, or ESP

Can this be done, and can the imported lines be manipulated? I tried placing a DWG and the file was not recognized. I placed an EPS and I could not do anything to it other than edit in an isolation mode. I need to embedded the lines and manipulate them with the rest of the drawing. 

• Staff

Affinity doesn't currently support DXF or DWG files. But they may be added in the future. To edit the EPS don't place it in your document, open the file going to File -> Open, otherwise you will embed it in your document.

As far as i know there's no way to turn an embedded document into editable lines and shapes yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the workaround for this missing vital feature?

Use some app that supports both the DXF, DWG, or whatever else is the format of the file & an export option to one Affinity supports. Since these formats may contain a lot more than 2D objects, this may remain the only or best way to work with them even if or when Affinity adds whatever support they can for these file types.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi tomek,

I don't know if it's possible to export to PDF directly from AutoCad, but even if that's not possible there's third party apps able to do it.

Assuming you want to work with floor plans, sections and elevations for presentation purposes in Affinity the PDF format should suffice, however you may have to adjust some stroke sizes after importing and eventually join some lines to get complete shapes so you can fill them.

• 1 year later...

As outlined here, there are significant problems in interpreting, importing, & exporting DXF data files.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, siltec said:

Seems daft that the replacement does not have this feature.

Affinity Designer is not a replacement for any prior Serif product. It is completely new product, created from a brand new code base. It was designed from the ground up to support multiple operating systems, a unique Affinity 'native' file format any Affinity app can open directly without any format conversion or data loss, significantly reduced memory requirements, & near realtime live previews.

Like its sibling Affinity Photo, it is still a relatively new app, missing quite a few features that are likely to be added later (& some that probably won't be). As it is now, it does some things other apps can't, or can't do as well, but you will have to weigh that against any missing features you can't do without to decide if it is worth adding to your collection of graphics apps.

Affinity Photo