You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi.

My main line of work is not graphical design, and I don't have a great amount of experience doing artwork. Nevertheless, I occasionally face the need to create logos and icons for my products. So I'm very much welcoming a cost effective and easy-to-use yet powerful alternative to the competitor's product, which has been draining my budget and time in no relation to the little bit of work I do with it.

I'm now giving Affinity Designer a try, and I started by importing my Adobe Illustrator files: I noticed that some shapes don't import correctly, which gives me a bit of a headache. Here is an example:

This shape in Adobe Illustrator: post-50657-0-68468600-1485871700_thumb.png looks like this when imported into Affinity Designer: post-50657-0-92915400-1485871699_thumb.png

While there probably is a way to fix this in AD by editing each individual shape, it could become quite tedious. Is there a way to avoid this kind of issue?

-jerry

• Staff

Hi jerry,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Can you please upload the original ai file - only that shape or others that are giving you trouble, you can delete all the rest - so we can check this out?

Here's how to attach an image/file to a post. In case you have trouble uploading (file format not supported or similar issues) zip the file before uploading.

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the file. The line contains two nodes there, where one would suffice. If you delete the one on the left you can easily fix this: select the Node Tool click on the shape, select the node on the left, (highlighted in blue in the image below) and hit Delete on your keyboard. 

post-59-0-13852600-1485875068_thumb.png

I will pass this to the dev team to be looked at, seems other programs do import it without the "extra" segment despite the additional node.

Thank you, guys. This definitely fixes the problem for this shape. I realize it is a bit more complicated than I thought when I provided this one example: there are other cases, same symptoms, where deleting a node won't help. But you might have gotten me on the right track. I will check it and post another example if I get stuck (don't want to publish my designs here even if they might not be considered masterpieces).

-jerry

Hi again.

I now went through my assets and most of them import quite nicely into Affinity Designer. A couple of them don't but keeping them exactly as they are is not critical - if I ever have to update them I will recreate them.

However, there is one shape included in multiple images that I need to somehow get under control. It's a product logo, and it must not change. I cannot recreate it easily because I applied a warp filter on the overall image, and I cannot find a similar function in Designer. Luckily the original warp is preserved in the import even though the elements are ungrouped. But they have those overshot lines that I described in the original question, and not all of them are due to extra nodes.

Saving to other formats and importing those show the same or other issues, so I haven't yet found a good way to import all images that include that logo.

Like I said, I'd rather not attach the original design here but I could send a slightly obfuscated version in a PM if you'd like to have a look at it. I would very much appreciate that.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this program. It certainly has all the features I could ask for and it is much easier to use.

Thanks,

-jerry

As far as sending a file, do consider sending MEB a link to the original if asked. It might be the most valuable version to Serif as an original file and you can rest assured are safe from being released into the wild when MEB or another staffer gets them.

To wrap this up: At least in my case, this could be solved by setting the miter limit on each affected shape from (default) 10 to 1, which can be done either in Illustrator or Designer.

Thanks, Mike, for the solution sent via PM.

-jerry