You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please make a Lightroom competitor

I know this forum isn't a democracy but I would like to add my vote to the request for a DAM app. I've been using Lightroom for years but am ready to jump ship. One thing a DAM app would need is the ability to see, read, and process DNG files. I made the mistake of converting all my RAW files to Adobe's DNG format over the years and now have software limitations outside of Adobe's suite for handling the RAW files. Love your Affinity Photo app, by the way.

Kinda a stupid question but what is a "DAM" app?  :unsure:

It stands for Digital Asset Manager. I don't understand entirely myself, but it's my understanding that it is a collection of images with tags, adjustment tools, sharing options, and practically an image library and organizer to store all files.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

It stands for Digital Asset Manager. I don't understand entirely myself, but it's my understanding that it is a collection of images with tags, adjustment tools, sharing options, and practically an image library and organizer to store all files.

Ah, ok I see.  :)

That's one kind of thing a DAM is, but this is the problem - there are as many ideas about what a DAM should be as there are people who would use it, and Serif is going to have the Devil of a job getting that right.

In fact, even the phrase "Lightroom competitor" tells the story: I have never used Lr as a DAM solution (I have my own), only as a Raw conversion solution. So for me a "Lightroom competitor" is Photo Ninja, my Raw converter of choice.

By the same token, because Photo has the Raw conversion functionality, it is already a "Lightroom competitor".

See what I mean?

Keith Reeder

Fact is

If you come home from a so called "shoot" with a certain amount of pictures, AP alone is a very poor choice (any operating system)

Additional free software is mostly poor choice and good software is either rented (LR in which case you most likely also have got PS, and we are talking about the future so using an old LR is not an option). Or expensive (C1, other RAW ninja or something like that).

So the affinity DAM together with AP should allow to manage professional grade shoots/ edits.

Period.

Fact is

If you come home from a so called "shoot" with a certain amount of pictures, AP alone is a very poor choice (any operating system)

Nope - not even close to "fact", except as it applies to your expectations. And (I really shouldn't have to point this out) your way isn't the only way, nor is it remotely the only "right" way.

Fact: deal with the DAM part of your workflow before opening Photo and it isn't a "poor choice" at all. There's no rule anywhere - written or unwritten - that your DAM solution has to come from the same company that provides the software you use for the rest of your workflow.

Keith Reeder

So the convenience of a newer DAM is that it can view and convert RAW images?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!