You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Object that overlaps itself drops out the intersection

I have an object that is an S hand drawn and not text. The "S" is stylized and the bottom end wraps around crossing over itself:

post-2089-0-08813000-1417050402_thumb.png

Where it crosses over itself it drops out the fill. How do I get it not to do this? the whole S needs to be blue.

post-2089-0-26790600-1417050404_thumb.png

I looked around the menus and found that. I gave it a try but it did not seem to change anything. I set the fill to none and changed fill to winding then added color, nothing seemed to change. I made sure I had the path selected from the layer panel. A portion of the S (more to the right) overlaps another object that I set to divide with because I needed that portion a contrasting color to the object below. I imagine that when I hit divide it also divided the portions of the S that overlapped as it put nodes at the intersections where the paths cross. I would think this would be perfect because I could just select the path segments, delete them and make the object fill (and simpler). I can not figure out how to select the path between the nodes. The node tool just adds more nodes.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to follow-up on this question.  I have the same issue after creating overlapping letters.  The intersection/overlapping points have a white outline around each piece.  I changed the Fill Mode to Winding and then Fill each of the pieces but the white outline persists.  RobS was able to fix it but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I am curious to know what does fill mode mean and do?  Winding and Alternate? Even Odd and Non Zero? Math terms scare me lol :P

I am curious to know what does fill mode mean and do?  Winding and Alternate? Even Odd and Non Zero? Math terms scare me lol :P

They are rules used to decide which points are inside a shape and which outside. The Non-Zero rule is more subtle and takes into account the direction in which edges of the shape are drawn, so that more points lie inside the shape. See the pictures at http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/painting.html#FillProperties.

• Staff

@j-hill,

This is a different situation from the posts above. You don't have a shape that intersects itself here. You have independent shapes with overlapping boundaries. The thin white lines you're seeing is the result of antialiasing the shape boundaries against the white background.

You can overcome this by adding (boolean operation) the parts of the objects that share the same color.

Check the linked file. I've joined (added) the separate elements back.