Bardo70

affinity photo Unhandled Exception 0xC0000005 cannot start crash reporter

Hi, hope you guys can provide some help on this.

I am using version 1.5.1.54, today they ap started crashing after using the selection brush. 

I got the following error:

affinity photo Unhandled Exception 0xC0000005

there is also another window advising that he crash reporter cannot start.  I click OK on this last window but must close the error pop-up window (e.g. can’t click on OK, need to click on the x)

As mention the first time it happened was when I used the selection brush (W), the second time after printing.

The only thing I have change in the last few days was the printer, now using an Epson xp-960.

Cheers

Do you have a lot of documents open at the time of the crash?

It could also be worth doing a restart of the computer as sometimes more than one instance of the crash reporter may be active.

Living the Dream since 1964 - about 25 years left

Thanks Pauls, the first time it crashed I did actually had about 3 open files, the second time only one and had already restarted windows.  I am keeping an eye on it to see if it happens again as well as how many file or other app I had opened.  FYI, running on W10, HP Spectre 360 8Ram 500gb hdd.  usually not running more than the app and maybe a browser (watching the affinity channel on Vimeo...).  I see if this happens again and close this post if I don't see anything in 48hrs if that's good.

Hi Bardo70,

We have an open issue regarding the selection brush which may be what you are seeing. Hopefully that will be fixed in the next neta release.

The adding if pressing Alt sounds unusual - Does it persist after restarting the app?

Living the Dream since 1964 - about 25 years left

Hi Pauls, 

I have been using the ap today and yesterday, so far I haven't seen it happen again.  I will open the say RAW image I was working with (e.g. not the saved image) and see if I can replicate it, then I will open a few files (ideally the same ones I had opened before it happened) and i'll let you know the outcome. FYI, not sure it helps, but I was working with RAW from Canon and Sony (old sony A100 images)

Hi,

I got the same problem (Crash report 0xC0000005) but I had opened only browser.  And it happened several times already. And I have problem with high RAM usage (4GB) with only one RAW opened. Any ideas?

(PS. sorry for my possible mistakes - I do not use English very often :/ )

Hey GaK, welcome to the Affinity Forums,

Do you have anything in %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports 

If so, can you attach it so we can take a look.

We tend to hold onto the RAM until it is needed elsewhere so unless you notice it impacting performance I wouldn't worry too much. 

Hi,

Thanks for response!

I attached two compressed crash reports (there was only way to attach them - singular file was 0 bytes). I wrote about high RAM usage, but maybe there is another problem which causes slowing down the AP (it happens when I switch tools and I use most of them all the time). You know this loading sign, when there is no response from program. I have to watch this like twenty times before I end up with one photo retouch. And I have to wait until it response again. Sometimes it ends with crash.

My PC has 16GB RAM and it was real mistery for me when I noticed, that after this "no responses" adventure my operation SSD disk was full. It has "eaten" few GB. Then I searched any caches to delete (but Internet says that Affinity saves no caches). I cleaned up system files, I did defragmentation and I gained 15 GB.

crash reports.zip

post-50921-0-35839300-1486118194_thumb.png

Hi,
Thanks for response!
I attached two compressed crash reports (there was only way to attach them - singular file was 0 bytes). I wrote about high RAM usage, but maybe there is another problem which causes slowing down the AP (it happens when I switch tools and I use most of them all the time). You know this loading sign, when there is no response from program. I have to watch this like twenty times before I end up with one photo retouch. And I have to wait until it response again. Sometimes it ends with crash.
My PC has 16GB RAM and it was real mistery for me when I noticed, that after this "no responses" adventure my operation SSD disk was full. It has "eaten" few GB. Then I searched any caches to delete (but Internet says that Affinity saves no caches). I cleaned up system files, I did defragmentation and I gained 15 GB.

The same happened to me.

Have a panorama edited and suddenly the SSD was full (it was over 20 GB free) and 16 GB ram full.

There was then an error message "Too little memory" and abort the processing.

After which I rebooted the computer and AP were once again over 20 GB on the SSD again free.

Actually, the TEMPORARY memory is on another drive.

Win7 HP 64 Bit, AMD Six-core 3.50 GHz, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Ich habe auch sehr oft die Fenster-Meldung "Keine Rückmeldung".
Diese Meldung tritt auf wenn ich eine Datei schliesse und auch während ich ein Foto bearbeite.

@GaK - It looks like the files are 0 bytes. Do you want to try again or send me a link to a Dropbox or something to download them?

@Julius1de - I've just made a panorama and applied 4 adjustments and it looks to have used 2GB of storage, which I guess is expected. However, to edit a single panorama and have 20GB used up is quite alarming. What kind of edits were you doing? Has it happened again? 

I wrote about this - these reports are 0 bytes. I attach print screen how it looks like, but I can't find more reports elsewhere.

post-50921-0-56121000-1486398232_thumb.jpg

@GaK - It looks like the files are 0 bytes. Do you want to try again or send me a link to a Dropbox or something to download them?

@Julius1de - I've just made a panorama and applied 4 adjustments and it looks to have used 2GB of storage, which I guess is expected. However, to edit a single panorama and have 20GB used up is quite alarming. What kind of edits were you doing? Has it happened again? 

I had 15 pictures for a panorama and tried to put everything together at once and then finish with inpainting.

As a second try I have created 3 x 5 Panos pictures and then put together the 3 Panos.

Sorry GaK I thought they had become 0 byte files after attaching them to the forum. It's odd that they are 0 bytes inside the crash reporter folder...

@Julius1de - That's a smart idea but it should be necessary  :unsure:

So do I get help? Why AP is slowing down all the time? Why simple actions are taking so much time? I updated my graphic drivers but it didn't help. I do have no further ideas for solving my problem. Do you?

So do I get help? Why AP is slowing down all the time? Why simple actions are taking so much time? I updated my graphic drivers but it didn't help. I do have no further ideas for solving my problem. Do you?

Yes, of course, but this is going to be difficult. AP will use any available RAM and will often appear to hold onto it and release it when something else needs it so I'm not convinced it is a RAM issue. Have you checked to see if your SSD is still running out of space? If it is, this is likely what is causing the app to run slow. 

What is your CPU and Disk Usage displaying in Task Manager? can you take a screenshot?

I've noticed in the last couple of screenshots you seem to be performing a Mesh Warp when the crash happens. Does this happen on every image you use the Mesh Warp Tool on? 

The screenshots of your system display the memory as expected but the CPU is at 100% which I assume is when the crash is occurring. 

Crash usually happens when I use Mesh Warp, Zoom (in or out), switch to Move Tool. 

Screenshot presents CPU usage when crash. 

I attach new one with casual usage.

post-50921-0-12310500-1486485523_thumb.png

Hi Gak,

I've been playing around with the Mesh Warp and zooming in/out and I can get the app to freeze up for 5 or so seconds but it won't crash. If I can get it to crash and get a report, I can pass it onto development and see if they can prevent the crashing. 

Hi!
Oh, that would be amazing! I hope your reports will contain some informations (mine were empty, as you saw). And maybe you will able to provoke some app crash to see why it happens at all.
AP is absolutely amazing - I was joking to my husband that this is true love: I love Affinity and hate it same much ☺ (If there won't be any freezes and crashes - it will only pure love remain ♥ )
Thank you for your involvement in this topic :) I'm looking forward some news!

Same thing is happening to me both in AP (1.5.2.69) and AD (1.5.3.69) - seems random, can't really reproduce it. Crash Report folders are empty.

i can´t even start AP (trial) :( I tried reinstall it, fresh start, even downloaded another setup from a mirror (chip.de) (w10 x64 pro creators update)

Hey Tranceport,

This looks like you are affected by the 'known' RivaTuner crash. Please launch RivaTuner and add the .exe's in the below screenshot and set the detection level to None. 

post-46-0-14644100-1498806757_thumb.png