You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Two Questions About Affinity Publisher

• Staff

1. Will Affinity Publisher be sometime this year (and when, if feasible to tell us now)?
  2. Will Affinity Publisher be published for both Mac and Window simultaneously?

1. No but hopefully sometime next year

2. Yes

Out of interest, is the aim to have the version number for Publisher in sync with Designer and Photo (the way those 2 products already have version numbers in sync with each other)? If so, does that mean Photo and Designer will still be on version 1.x next year, or does it mean that Publisher will have its initial release as version 2.x ?

Could we please start dealing in real dates?

Will Affinity Publisher arrive in 2017?

To be honest, if it doesn't, I give up. The timeline has been pushed back how many times? Sorry, but this is starting to become a lie. Publisher will never be a live product is my strong belief at this point.

And while Photo looks like a great product. . .and while Designer looks good too but doesn't do charts. . .Publisher is the product I need most. Since it will not be an actual product, I most likely will be stuck with Adobe InDesign etc. 

Adobe needs serious competition -- competition that will actually make them innovate instead of playing small little games on little "improvements." Many designers were hopeful Affinity would truly take that position. 

The best options at this point are to stick with Adobe or piece together a suite of products that can get the work done -- QuarkXPress, Affinity Photo and I don't know what else to do the charting Illustrator sort of does now.

Good luck everyone.

1. Will Affinity Publisher be sometime this year (and when, if feasible to tell us now)?
  2. Will Affinity Publisher be published for both Mac and Window simultaneously?

2. Yes

It's good to have confirmation that Windows users won't have to wait for months after Mac users get their hands on Affinity Publisher, but not so good to hear that it will be "hopefully" some time next year. Does that refer to the finished retail product, or also to the betas?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Could we please start dealing in real dates?

Will Affinity Publisher arrive in 2017?

To be honest, if it doesn't, I give up.

The best options at this point are to stick with Adobe or piece together a suite of products that can get the work done -- QuarkXPress, Affinity Photo and I don't know what else to do the charting Illustrator sort of does now.

Good luck everyone.

Well... at least you know what to do... stick with Adobe, and go whinning on their forum... good luck!

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

And iPad versions pushed back to late 2017 instead of the announced "already working in our office"?

So any more explanations as to why APub takes so long? What are some of the issues you ran into?

hm  <_<  :blink:

The answer is very simple. Not enough people and we haven't found any new ones yet. 

The answer is very simple. Not enough people and we haven't found any new ones yet. 

Thank you for your frank, dry and sober statement -

I know from my own experience how hard it is to find competent and trustworthy staff nowadays.

Cohorts of wannabes running in circles around you stealing time and resources 

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Sometimes a simple answer is the best.  Thanks for giving us a heads up!  I love Designer and Photo.  Such great tools.  Publisher is the tool I am looking forward most, but I understand without sufficient resources it is hard to do. I am grateful for all the hard work you are doing!!  

2. Yes

WHAT?! Now even 2017 has fallen? Guys you promised the beta 2 years ago... The app surely has progressed in that long time to a testable app...

How about stopping work on Designer and Photo for a while and finishing the suite first?

I better don't write more as it would be disrespectful - but what is going on with Publisher is really making me mad. I you would have been honest I could have biting the poisonous apple of Adobe earlier and avoided to fuck around with iStudio for the short wait till publisher comes out 8( A good way to destroy good will from customers build in the beginning.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

WHAT?! Now even 2017 has fallen? Guys you promised the beta 2 years ago... The app surely has progressed in that long time to a testable app...

How about stopping work on Designer and Photo for a while and finishing the suite first?

I better don't write more as it would be disrespectful - but what is going on with Publisher is really making me mad. I you would have been honest I could have biting the poisonous apple of Adobe earlier and avoided to fuck around with iStudio for the short wait till publisher comes out 8( A good way to destroy good will from customers build in the beginning.

You waited two years to do layout work and what you do is simple enough to do in iStudio? Must not do much of it to hassle with a play toy like iStudio.

Anyone waiting for Affinity Publisher from two years ago, two months ago or two days ago in lieu of a concrete, never to be broken shipping date has mainly themselves to blame.

If for no other reason than just how capable do you think APub is going to be when released? Unless I am mistaken, it isn't going to be capable to do much of what I do for 2, 3, 4 years after it is released. Once it is released--and I will likely purchase it when released--I will use it for simple work that isn't fit for AD just to give Serif my feedback in the hopes of it improving. But wait for it? Much less depend on it? Nah.

Mike

Even the “old” ones are not able to update some text:

“[…] Affinity Designer for Windows, we’ll be bringing Affinity Photo to that platform too.”

Or perhaps problems with the infinite improbability drive?

“2017 wollen wir Affinity Publisher als Beta veröffentlichen, und dafür benötigen wir Ihre Hilfe.”

Schade, da wird man offiziell aufgefordert, bei der Veröffentlichung der Beta zu helfen, aber Serif scheint dann doch keine Hilfe zu benötigen. :( Auch nicht von neuen kostenlosen Mitarbeitern! Liegt vielleicht am Brexit.

“2017 wollen wir Affinity Publisher als Beta veröffentlichen, und dafür benötigen wir Ihre Hilfe.”

Schade, da wird man offiziell aufgefordert bei der Veröffentlichung der Beta zu helfen, aber Serif scheint dann doch keine Hilfe zu benötigen.  :( Auch nicht von neuen kostenlosen Mitarbeitern! Liegt vielleicht am Brexit.

That's easy for you to say...

Speaking of Quark: from what I hear the latest version seems to be pretty good. MikeW, do You have it? Could You share Your impressions?

Hah, I have installed versions going back a bit. I have to for client files.

QXP 2016 is the bomb (just in case that expression isn't known as a good one, it is). Quark returned from its long slumber at about version 9 or so. Version 10 was a transitional version, though, and one that should be forgotten. It was rewritten all but from the ground up. Version 11 (2015) completed that process and was incredibly stable and responsive. Or so I thought for the year and a half it was out--version 2016 is as much better compared to version 2015 as that was over version 10.

Quark as a company has become easily accessible, mainly via the closed Facebook group (anyone can join), actively responds and fixes problems through the life cycle of the current version. But hey, take a look on their YouTube channel at some of the version 2016 videos and if interested, download the (stupid) 3-day trial version (which can be extended 30 days).

They generally run some sales a couple times a year--but I think the latest one ended on Jan 31, so I don't know when the next one will be. But it would be good to join the FB group, mention missing the sale. Ya just never know...

The new date is a bit upsetting to be honest however I trust Affinity know what they're doing :)

It would be very useful to get better printing support so we can print all Artboards at once instead of exporting each one individually. Then at least we could print pages in a more natural fashion.

Just worked out that if you select all artboards with the artboard tool you can then export all artboards as a PDF by selecting "Selection with background" and clicking export! WOOP :D