You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD T-Shirt design

CreationsOfKoon

Hello everyone!

First post in the forums, so here's a little introduction/explanation first: I've been looking for a good alternative to Illustrator (which I use in my daily job) for my freelance work and came across Affinity Designer. I lurked through the forums a bit, saw the introductory video about a hundred times and eventually when Illustrator abolished my last nerve and obliterated any pieces of patience I had left, I knew - Affinity Designer will be the software I use! I thought it would be a cool idea to try and record my first project with the program and share it with the community. It's nothing special, mostly shapes and gradients, but I had to start somewhere, so here goes:

tshirt-done-973x648.jpg

tShirt-768x912.jpg

A video of the process: https://youtu.be/QlpYsvdkpEY

The photo of the t-shirt guy is from unsplash.com.

Thanks for having a look!

• Staff

Hey CreationsOfKoon, it's great to have you onboard. Video's displaying your process are always welcome so thanks for including that. I had to do a double take on the t-shirt as well as I thought it was printed at first. Well done :)

Great! Thanks for showing the process, too! Am I right that you work only with closed shapes in the project?

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

Chris, thanks for the nice words! I overlaid the design on the photo and blurred the edges of the mask slightly to make it blend better. I think the pixel view made it a lot easier to trace the shirt, than if I had to do an approximation with only a vector line. One of the features I found really nice from the introductory video on the AD website.

Nils, thanks for having a look at the project! Yeah, those are all closed shapes. For the middle and bottom part I used the polygon tools, that are already available, so they already produce closed shapes, but for the top part, where I used the pen tool, I made sure to close all shapes. It's something I have left from working with advertising agencies - non-closed curves means bad news. It applies mostly to plotters or laser-cutters, but it can cause issues if you export your art for other vector or 3D software such as Blender as well. Obviously not a 100% necessary thing to do, depending on what you do with your artwork, it's just a habit I have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Love the way you take new software and make it work for you! Great job. Now step back and consider whether the lighting is what you intended.

:)

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop