You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

As you've noted, symbols are not exported as symbols to SVG yet - this will be implemented in the future :)

Our symbols allow for individual elements within the symbol to be modified without updating all instances, so it's not quite as simple as saying 'that's a symbol, reuse the existing symbol' as they need to check all attributes of all objects they contain to check they would be identical to a master instance - and as they don't currently do that, we can't risk outputting them as symbols to SVG. We will implement this though...

Thanks,

Matt

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is it the future yet?

If, in a work, I've used a symbol in Designer a few times, and one of those got modified, I'd expect it would be easy to checksum and tell if it is tainted or not (in which case, doesn't export that particular one as SVG symbol whereas the untainted ones do).

I'm having to do all the hard work myself re-hand-coding the SVG in large amounts and batches. I'm using a computer here, it'd be good if it could do some of the work!

• 11 months later...

[edit] hmm... I just reacted with a +1 to give the option to export Affinity Symbols as SVG Symbols because of performance reasons. But my view on the peformance part has changed;

Not sure if things are improved in 2021 (guess not as svg isn't changed for many years, but perhaps the web rendering engines for svg have), but according to this old post, using SVG <symbol>s makes the SVG not faster, but even 50% slower in some cases as seen in a test: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8604999/does-reusing-symbols-improve-svg-performance

Still think having the option to export Affinity Symbols to SVG Symbols would be a nice addition and very useful in some situations. Especially when a symbol has a lot of graphics inside that will be reused multiple times and not being animated. Than, for use in browsers, it would load a lot faster and doesn't need the peformance part that much.

But please, if this will be implemented in the future, make it an option instead of fixed export rule, so Affinity symbols will not always be exported as SVG symbols, but only when we ask for it, because of the above reason!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...