momokoo

[AP] Opens preview from VueScan DNG files not the actual scan

In the new stable release (1.5.1.54), Affinity Photo opens the preview miniature image embedded into the DNG file from VueScan instead of the actual "raw" image.

In the previous version it didn't do that.

And yes the actual scan is bigger than what AP gives me (it works in RawTherapee for example) besides it doesn't go into the develop persona anymore to begin with. I didn't change my VueScan setting either but I updated it trying to fix the issue but it persists also with a new VueScan version.

I tried to open this file with Affinity Photo, Photoshop CC, and a few RAW converters.... nothing can open this DNG file. VueScan is a scanner utility that produces PDF, JPG or TIFF files. This files is a scan from VueScan on a Canon LiDE scanner. There is no way this operation can produce a DNG file.... So I wonder if AP has anything to do with that.... unless I'm missing something...

I tried to open this file with Affinity Photo, Photoshop CC, and a few RAW converters.... nothing can open this DNG file. VueScan is a scanner utility that produces PDF, JPG or TIFF files. This files is a scan from VueScan on a Canon LiDE scanner. There is no way this operation can produce a DNG file.... So I wonder if AP has anything to do with that.... unless I'm missing something...

It sounds as though your file didn't download properly as this opens without an issue on Photoshop CC 2015 for me.

post-37-0-23913200-1485781511_thumb.png

OK, I was expecting to see a photograph, not a white rectangle with a border at the top. It opens in Photoshop and I see exactly what your attached picture shows. In AP it shows the same thing but quite small. AP shows a document of 172 x 246 px at 300 dpi. PS shows a 1032 x 1476 px at 300 dpi document. So, they don't see the same thing.

But still, how a DNG file from VueScan, and an over 8 Mb file for a white rectangle.... ?

OK, I was expecting to see a photograph, not a white rectangle with a border at the top. It opens in Photoshop and I see exactly what your attached picture shows. In AP it shows the same thing but quite small. AP shows a document of 172 x 246 px at 300 dpi. PS shows a 1032 x 1476 px at 300 dpi document. So, they don't see the same thing.

But still, how a DNG file from VueScan, and an over 8 Mb file for a white rectangle.... ?

In all fairness Momokoo did say it was the dusty white cover for his scanner - although I agree something with more contrast would have been a bit easier to see the problem. As for the size it is likely to be because it's uncompressed and 16bit data for each pixel in the image.

Yeah sorry for the lack of contrast, the photo scan I first encountered it with exceeds the upload limit and I'm currently not physically anywhere near the scanner to put something on it.

But I'm glad you guys can reproduce it. The fact that it worked in the previous version and now doesn't made me wonder if that's a problem on my side.

Perhaps not a top priority feature to support scan raws but since it was working before I hope it won't be too difficult to get it working again, it's nice to have that option sometimes.

I am having the same issue with DNG files from VueScan (only the thumbnail is actually opened by AP). I thought this might be because VueScan is not properly writing the DNG, but in addition AP is not able to process DNG created by Adobe Digital Negative Converter - all I get is a totally black image.  According to Adobe, "The Adobe DNG Converter is a free utility that enables you to easily convert camera-specific raw files from more than 600 cameras to the more universal DNG raw format."

VueScan does allow DNG output which can then be rescanned with different settings.  I have 100+ MB DNG files made by Vuescan, 5200x3500 at 4000dpi, from slides

and they are correctly read by Camera Raw 6.3.  Affinity 1.5.2.69 appears to pick up the Thumbnail 256x189, .05 MB.  Windows File Explorer gives the same thumbnail dimensions under details

but with 100+ MB file size.  ACDsee 20 sees the thumbnail like Affinity.  

On 30/01/2017 at 5:36 AM, Sean P said:

In all fairness Momokoo did say it was the dusty white cover for his scanner - although I agree something with more contrast would have been a bit easier to see the problem. As for the size it is likely to be because it's uncompressed and 16bit data for each pixel in the image.

I just contacted Ed, the maker of Vuescan, and he had no one reaching out to him, trying so solve this from Affinity, is that true?!

This is like 60% of all I work with so if this can't be solved I will just have to do a refund on the software.

C

Hi momokoo, Archduk3,
This should be fixed in the latest Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.7.0.112 for Mac and in Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.7.0.258.
Let us know if you still have trouble opening files from VueScan.

[EDIT] Added link for Affinity Photo Customer Beta on Windows.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi momokoo, Archduk3,
This should be fixed in the latest Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.7.0.112.
Let us know if you still have trouble opening files from VueScan.

That's a Mac beta number, isn't it? When is it fixed in Windows, which this forum is about?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.257 Beta

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi Archduk3,
Please try in the next upcoming Beta for Windows.

So this is not fixed for Mac yet then?

C

Hi Archduk3,
I'm a little lost now. To what file are you referring to please? Are you using Windows or Mac? If you are still having trouble opening files DNG files from VueScan in the latest Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.7.0.112 for Mac please create a new thread in the respective section so we can easily track your issue.

Just now, MEB said:

I'm a little lost now. To what file are you referring to please? Are you using Windows or Mac? If you are still having troubles opening files DNG files from VueScan in the latest Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.7.0.112 for Mac please create a new thread in the respective section so we can easily track your issue.

Copy.

Yeah, it still will not open.

C

On 3/9/2019 at 6:42 PM, Mark Ingram said:

We've improved DNG problems in the latest beta

I hope you’ve improved the solutions, not the problems! :P

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)