You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any fur styles out there?

Bri-Toon

I'm looking through the resources to find either the right brush, texture, or style (prefer style) to create a fur effect on a vector object. I did find a fur brush pack, but it didn't work out with what I was trying to accomplish. Here is a silly example of a creature I'm looking into basing mine off of. The fur sticks out pointedly instead of traveling around the object.

http://us.123rf.com/450wm/albertzig/albertzig1210/albertzig121000311/15624751-3d-cartoon-furry-monster.jpg?ver=6

If anyone is working on something like this or knows how to accomplish it, it would be a huge help. Thanks.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

That fur really looks impressive. I would love having a way to accomplish similar results!

I know, right? I am finding quite a lot of resources, but presets for the Styles tab seems pretty empty. Once line styles are in, it might be easier to implement this. 

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm afraid without a good painting work I think is really hard to achieve something like that.

This is as close as I can get in Photo playing a few minutes with the default brushes:

fur.jpg

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

I am pretty sure the original image posted will have the fur rendered in a 3D application.

However I am impressed by verysame's attempt to recreate in Photo!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

I found a nice tutorial on making vector fur, but it depends on blending/replicate, one of the things on the roadmap we are waiting for still on Affinity Designer.

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-add-fur-to-vector-animal-illustrations--vector-889

Perhaps it will give you ideas?

I am sure someone else made a lovely vector fur effect on the forums 18 months or so ago, but I cannot find it I am sorry.

Good luck. I shall follow this thread to see if anyone can point the way, maybe even a dev?

Thank you everyone for your replies!

This is as close as I can get in Photo playing a few minutes with the default brushes:

That looks great. Is it okay if I use it as a brush?

I found a nice tutorial on making vector fur, but it depends on blending/replicate, one of the things on the roadmap we are waiting for still on Affinity Designer.

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-add-fur-to-vector-animal-illustrations--vector-889

Perhaps it will give you ideas?

I am sure someone else made a lovely vector fur effect on the forums 18 months or so ago, but I cannot find it I am sorry.

Good luck. I shall follow this thread to see if anyone can point the way, maybe even a dev?

Very interesting. One problem I am facing is getting a vector brush. If I make a fury design, export and then import it, I can only get it as a pixel brush without trouble.

Really? I searched "Fur" in the search engine and it gave me zero results. I am curious as to who made that effect.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

That looks great. Is it okay if I use it as a brush?

[...]

Sure.

By the way, I used the effect brush #130:

Clipboard01.jpg

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Sure.

Thanks a ton. May I ask, do you still have the Affinity file available? To use the brush, I will need a transparent background.

Ahh, I think I found it Bleduc, although not with a vector brush, it was this post I was thinking of:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/5446-blue-bunny/

A really lovely work by Retrograde. 

That certainly does look very impressive. I need to work on making something like that (I doubt it will be as good). I'm gonna look into how to add resources here.

See also:  Fur & Hair Brushes here in the resources section of the forum! - Further don't know if it might be of any help for you, here are two AD vector files of verysame's nice drawing, made the quick auto way.

post-49706-0-85133900-1485950448_thumb.jpg

wollball.afdesign

wollball2.afdesign

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Sure.

Clipboard01.jpg

Just as an FYI, the number 130 isn't a brush number, it's the default width for that brush (i.e. 130px). If I hover over the brush, I get a tooltip telling me that the brush name is 'Effects 1'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

See also:  Fur & Hair Brushes here in the resources section of the forum! - Further don't know if it might be of any help for you, here are two AD vector files of verysame's nice drawing, made the quick auto way.

attachicon.giffur_ball.jpg

attachicon.gifwollball.afdesign

attachicon.gifwollball2.afdesign

Thank you very much.