DarkClown

[By Design] Rasterise only works within document boundaries ...

As AP is not capable of adapting some effects e.g. gaussian blur to a resized document I'm forced to rasterize complex structure with elements that won't adapt. In this case I imported my watermark to a picture. I made it available in high res to be able to adapt it to any docsize that might come up. Before resizing the watermark to desired output dimensions II have to reasterize it for before mentioned reasons. The boundaries of the watermark exceed the document boundaries

post-29950-0-93087600-1485700603_thumb.jpg

After rasterizing this object consisting of text and pixel layers the boundaries of the watermark getting cropped at the document edges:

post-29950-0-51978800-1485700670_thumb.jpg

leaving the resulting layer in a completely unusable/wrecked state:

post-29950-0-06443000-1485700719_thumb.jpg

Assuming that we are facing a bug here (and not a "feature") I'd think it would be good to take a closer look that this behaviour ...

Cheers,
Timo

iCore i7-3770, 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, Windows 7 Enterprise 64Bit, SP 1 - AP and AD latest final & beta
http://www.timobierbaum.com

You should make a new document with the dimensions of your highres watermark

Rasterise the watermark (in this document) /or do a merge visible and copy this layer into any other document

Problem solved

Cheers

LOL ... so we've reached the stage that we're promoting crappy workarounds for dealing with buggy software? :-) :wub:

Sorry for beeing cynical ... please see my thread as a bug report not as a desperate cry for help ... of course there are many ways to work around this issue. Frankly spoken the irony starts a lot earlier ... in fact having to rasterise a group to be able to scale a document seems like the contrary of non destructive picture editing and a declaration of bakruptcy to me. But for some reason serif refuses to comment on this topic even though I brought it up many times already in various context.

:blink: 

Cheers :D
Timo

iCore i7-3770, 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, Windows 7 Enterprise 64Bit, SP 1 - AP and AD latest final & beta

Have you tried it with an embedded document + live filter -gaussian blur?

That example file uses the gaussian blur as a live filter which is adapting to the scale of your embedded document

(scale it down and recheck the live filters size)

and you can still use your big watermark image too. 

gumroad.com/myclay | timurariman.com
Windows 10 Pro - 1809 | Ryzen 2700 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB  | 64GB |
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX500 1TB | WD Black PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Hallo Timo,
hast Du dein HighRes Wasserzeichen als Einzeldatei, so ist es doch einfach über die Funktion "Plazieren" es in dein Fotoprojekt zu intergrieren, das ist übrigens genau wie in Photoshop "Smart Objekte" die kann man skalieren mit allen Effekten die enthalten sind, man kann es austauschen, so sollte es ja auch sein.

Deine Feststellung, die mit dem rastern eines Objektes zusammenhängen stimmen leider, das Objekt wird ausserhalb der Leinwand abgeschnitten, Photoshop macht das nicht, was heißt das für mich ... anderer Workflow.!
Nun ja, Affinity Photo ist nicht Photoshop, damit müsste man sich arangieren.

Pollux

Hello Timo,

You have your HighRes watermark as a single file, it is easy to integrate with the function "place" it into your photo project, which is exactly the same as in Photoshop "Smart Objects" which can be scaled with all the effects that are contained, one can It should be so.

Your finding, which is related to the rastering of an object, unfortunately, the object is cut off from the screen, Photoshop does not do what it means for me ... other workflow.!

Well, Affinity Photo is not Photoshop, so you would have to arrange.

Pollux

I was going to give same MyClay's suggestion, live filters are the best solution in this case.

That said, I agree with Timo, leaving with a cut-off layer after the rasterization is not ideal.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Hi everybody,
so I played a bit around ... not really satisfying me.
Regardless wether I use an embedded object or a native layer the gaussian blur destroys it after resizing. As you can see within the example the Gaussian blur parameters remain the same (and of course wreck the image) Pic 1 is the original with gaussian blur of 20px - pic 2 is the same after resizing from 6000px widht to 1200 width
The top text is an native textlayer with an life filter gaussian blur ... and the bottom text is an embedded object with an gaussian blur as life filter

post-29950-0-75565300-1485744590_thumb.jpg

post-29950-0-00998100-1485744606_thumb.jpg

If you resize it you just need to lower the gaussian blur.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Hello DarkClown, 

ah now I get you, for that there would be a need for an assistant setting which changes the live filters once the image got resized.

For now the only solution which I would use in that case is,

that you take the document size and divide it with your new size and take the result as a divider for your live effect

6000px/1200px=5

within the live effect write the result as a divider of how many times the image got smaller

and the live effect should again be the correct size for the resized image.

so it would look like this;20 px/5

press enter and the correct number will appear. 4 px

here is a gif for easier understanding;

gumroad.com/myclay | timurariman.com
Windows 10 Pro - 1809 | Ryzen 2700 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB  | 64GB |
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX500 1TB | WD Black PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Yes, of course it would "just" need a manual adjustment of the gaussian blur parameter. The problem is significantly growing when you keep in mind that this effect affects all life filters and fx-setting that do work with constants instead of percentage values (e.g. shadow distances in fx). So eventually after resizing you have to go through every single layer and do some serious rework on them unless you haven't rasterized these layers up front. From my perspective this requires a "scale effects with document" checkbox for each of theses filters.

Hi Carl, great, thank you!
This was excatly what I was looking for! I just wonder why this is not available for the life filter of gaussian blur ... or did I miss out this setting somewhere?
Cheers, Timo

Hi DarkClown

Rasterise cropping objects to the canvas area is intended behaviour. For the blur, the layer effects are applied directly to a selected layer and therefore are able to scale with it. The live filter layer is applied to the canvas area as a whole rather than to a specific object and therefore does not scale. Again this is intended and not a bug.

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com