You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Click and drag to adjust paragraph tab stops

I'm finding when laying out tabular data that it's a pain to add/edit tab stops only from the small text input field (some of the UX there isn't really good either, as I can't seem to scroll down the window when I have entered more than 5 tab stops).

Being able to see the tab stops on a ruler (similar to InDesign) to be able to click and drag them to adjust would make viewing and adjusting the paragraph tab stops a million times better.

​Second this!

W11 Pro 64bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB DDR4 Memory | Samsung 980 PRO 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 870 QVO 4TB SSD | 4TB 3.5in HDD | 6TB 3.5in HDD | RTX 3070 8GB Graphics Card | Lots and lots of creative software

https://digitaldharmamusic.wordpress.com/

https://digitaldharmamusic.bandcamp.com/

• 4 months later...

Yes, working with tabs in AD is incredibly awkward and counter-intuitive. It's so time-consuming, I'm giving up. Even using separate columns of text instead of tabs is better. I wonder if you will consider adding a ruler like most sensible applications out there, since this is quite an obvious implementation (but it's not on your roadmap).

• 4 months later...
On 29/01/2017 at 2:25 PM, lvl99 said:

I'm finding when laying out tabular data that it's a pain to add/edit tab stops only from the small text input field (some of the UX there isn't really good either, as I can't seem to scroll down the window when I have entered more than 5 tab stops).

Being able to see the tab stops on a ruler (similar to InDesign) to be able to click and drag them to adjust would make viewing and adjusting the paragraph tab stops a million times better.

Quoted.

On 27/06/2017 at 1:13 AM, rubs said:

working with tabs in AD is incredibly awkward and counter-intuitive

totally agree...

• 1 month later...
On 27-6-2017 at 1:13 AM, rubs said:

Yes, working with tabs in AD is incredibly awkward and counter-intuitive. It's so time-consuming, I'm giving up. Even using separate columns of text instead of tabs is better. I wonder if you will consider adding a ruler like most sensible applications out there, since this is quite an obvious implementation (but it's not on your roadmap).

Since a couple of years tabs are hardly used anymore but most people use tables instead, removing the lines and you're done, often quicker and easier then tabs.

But i would welcome such a feature.

On 01/01/2018 at 8:06 AM, Tourmaline said:

Since a couple of years tabs are hardly used anymore but most people use tables instead, removing the lines and you're done, often quicker and easier then tabs.

But i would welcome such a feature.

Yes, tables would be awesome too. Anyway I still believe the way tabs are implemented in AD is primitive. Even WordPad has draggable tab stops. I hope they fix this at least when Publisher is released.