You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How are two lines joined ?

Hi,

used node tool to perform the cut where one line joined another forming a T, by activating the line needing a node, then saw a ~ when node tool was at end of the abutting line, clicked to place a node at the junction,then deleted the nodes to get an upturned L, then selected both lines and went ctrl J hoping to join them, nothing happened, still separate lines, looked in edit for join, found nothing.

If I wish to join them, as I have done thousands of times when in CAD or Macromedia Freehand, how is this done ?

Steve1

If you're asking how to join one line segment to the middle of another one in Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo, or how to join three lines segments to a single node, it can't be done.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I draw a line __________, I then draw a Line vertical  line  that ends at this line in its middle, so now I have a T , I use node tool to place a node on the ______ line where the vertical meets it, I delete the nodes to right of this new node (the only way to cut away part of a line as we dont have a cut tool), I select the two lines that now form an upturned L and wish to join them.

Steve1

Sorry, Steve, I understand now! I had thought you wanted to go from an upturned L to a T by adding a line segment at the top.

To join the ends of a horizontal line and a vertical line, use snapping to align their end nodes and then select both lines and click on the 'Join curves' button on the Action toolbar.

post-8358-0-74366400-1485563713_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png

which icon is that ?

I think you may have replied before I added a screenshot to my post.

Also can a keyboard command like ctrl J be made for this and how ? .....as I instinctively do a Ctrl J

I don't know what Ctrl+J does in AD on a Mac, but on Windows it's the default shortcut for the Duplicate command.

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks, I was using arrow to select both lines , again a Freehand trait, also CAD. as such that icon doesnt appear.

Ctrl D was/is duplicate for me on windows, I currently have Freehand and CAD set to Ctrl J for join (default commands anyway), seems very logical but 5000 freehand users would have been doing Ctrl J. I am going to need to have continuity of command between progs else will get into a real mess.

Steve1

Go to the Edit menu, choose 'Preferences...' and poke around the Keyboard Shortcuts section to see what tweaking you can do. :)

Alfred spacer.png

If you're asking how to join one line segment to the middle of another one in Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo, or how to join three lines segments to a single node, it can't be done.

I think what Steve 1 is trying to do is just that. Using the pen to make an un-closed stroke, and then intersect or branch from that. Not do-able.

It can be done w. a rectangle of extreme thinness, say .001", and using a boolean add. Or just draw the strokes and group them after the nodes are in just the right position.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I think what Steve 1 is trying to do is just that. Using the pen to make an un-closed stroke, and then intersect or branch from that. Not do-able.

I think you are right about that. I dug out my old Freehand 7 paper manual (remember when paper manuals came with apps?) to check how it handles this & to compare its terminology to Affinity's. In the "Tips & Tricks" section, it is explained that a point (Affinity: node) may only begin a path, end a path, or join two line segments. Thus, a point can connect to one or two line segments, but no more than two.

It is the same for Affinity. In either app, there is no way to connect one line to another line anywhere besides at their end points because connecting them at a midpoint of either line would require a point (node) to connect three line segments.

What you can do is connect the end points & arrange the line segment connecting the endpoints so that it folds back over part of the other line segment, creating the illusion that this is two lines joined at something other than their endpoints. This is what Freehand does & what you can do in Affinity -- you just have to make sure the midpoint nodes are sharp so the folded part exactly follows the shape of the line segment it covers. You may also have to change the cap & join types to butt cap & bevel join if you want square line ends.

It is usually simpler to do as gdenby suggested & either group the two lines or create a path that forms the outline of two lines.

Attached is a small AD file showing each method.

Join lines examples.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 years later...