You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to change text color

Generally with my photos, I apply a signature and while from another program, MS Digital Image Pro 2006, I could choose the font, adjust size and also select the color I wished to use -- white -- unfortunately, neither from help nor have I found a video on how to do this task in Affinity Photo. Please advise if there is a simple way to change colors of text with AP? TIA

• Staff

Hi Mur_phy,

Welcome Forums :)

If you select your text with the  Move Tool [V] then click the colour you would like the text to be from the colour wheel it should change colour :)

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Interesting. Originally when doing text I did not have to use the move tool and could readily move the text. Now I am using the move tool but this is the sequence I have found that seems to be necessary. Thanks for the response.

1. Click on Artistic Text

2. Select Font (which unfortunately so far I have not been able to locate where to set as default for it nor for my color choice)

3. Click on Fill box and because I want White as default, move all sliders to 255.

4. Type text signature

5. click move or use V as you have mentioned and move to desired location and also resize if necessary

I see that as a warning there is a RED squiggly line beneath the text which goes away when selecting the hand tool

Now if you or anyone  knows of any way to set my Font and Color to default, that would be great. TIA

• Staff

Hi Mur_phy,

If you create a Text Box or Artistic Text that has the font and colour you want to make default and select it then go to Edit > Defaults > Save it should default to those settings whenever you use the tool :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

TY IRB  -- after poking around a bit I had located that. I have added the info to my own .rtf. I hope that info was not well hidden in the help files as I did look around but just could not find out how to do what you guys so thoughtfully offered in my quest to learn this program. One of the reasons I am now using Affinity is because when using ON 1 I was and am still not able to add text to an image so had to save as a .png in order to keep the file size large and then open in MS DIP 2006 which to me was and is an unnecessary step. I am going to open another topic related to a lot of what I do so I can get some advice for things I have not been able to glean from neither the Help nor the videos I have viewed. Thanks again for the assistance but be forewarned I am sure I will ask a lot more questions.

• 2 months later...

These suggestions did not work for me. 

When you choose a color from the color wheel, there is no "Apply" or some other execution option. The only radio button option is "close." Selecting a color and then selecting "close" leaves the text color black. 

@user099

There is no need for an Apply button. Just select the text object & click the color you want to use in the color wheel. Note that like the other color selection methods, there are a pair of overlapping round swatches in the corner of the color wheel panel. The solid round swatch is for fill & the hollow one is for stroke, so to set the text color, click on the solid one if it is not already in the foreground.

Alternately, you can use the Fill & Stroke buttons in the Context toolbar for this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You have a fill layer immediately above your text layer, you may have changed its blend mode to allow the text below it to show through. 

Disable (switch off) the fill layer and see if you can change the colour of the text,

If you can then just move the fill layer below your text and change its blend mode back to normal.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 year later...

Hello - In Illustrator there is a Find & Replace where you can Find a colour and replace with another colour.

You can also select all with the same colour.

Is there anything like this in Affinity?

As an example - If I have 600 text boxes over 30 layers, and I need to only select the 400 that are the same colour, do I really have to do each one individually?

• Staff

Hi saraheagle,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Currently there's no way to select objects by their attributes. This is something we hope to implement later in a future version. For some situations (not text boxe's backgrounds which is not possible in Designer/Photo - but other objects or the text inside the text boxes) global colours may help. Changing a global colour will update all objects that use it as fill or stroke. Symbols  also helps to have several instances of an object where editing one will update them all but as you may guess will not work for text boxes.