You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, i tried using the undo brush tool. I made that on a tiff with two layers. Background is a B&W Conversion flattened above is one curve layer taking some adjustments. 

I thought i can use it with different blendmodes blending together with the underlying layer or the last snapshot.

Now, surprise surprise ... if i use the brush , the strokes bring back the COLOR information... I do not know why this is possible because i have no color information in any of the layers -> everything is converted in B&W.

What do i or cannot understand ? Any suggestions ?

Thank you for some answers ! 

post-47615-0-60552500-1485529925_thumb.jpg

AP 1.5.1 / 1.6.x.x BETA , C1 , Lenovo W541 , Wacom Intuos Pro (S / M (new))

The Undo Brush Tool winds back through the history. If you start with a colour image, apply a B&W adjustment and then flatten the result, there is no colour information in the final image but there is still colour information in the history. If you convert a colour image to B&W and then choose 'Edit > Copy Flattened' followed by 'File > New From Clipboard', the new copy of the B&W image won't have any colour information to restore.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

well yes i did think about something like this. i tried to make a snapshot and thought (as it makes sense like so) that the undo brush will take data from the last snapshot ( like in PS ) ... the undo brush makes no sence when it only works with the oldest data in the history. 

the reason why undo brush is so important is , that you can brush in with different blend modes. you can not simulate that with a 50% gray layer and doing so. Example when using 2 Layers of the same grayscale data brushing in in different blend modes is a easy way to enhance ... see George de Wolfs website

AP 1.5.1 / 1.6.x.x BETA , C1 , Lenovo W541 , Wacom Intuos Pro (S / M (new))

From the Help in Affinity Photo:

To paint from history or a saved snapshot:

1. Display the History or Snapshot panel.

2. Click the Undo Brush Source camera icon on the history state or snapshot you want to paint back to.

3. Begin painting with the Undo Brush Tool.

Does that not work for you? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)