Bauke

[Fixed] AP: CMYK tiff's show up transparant

Hi,

I have several 8-bit .tiff files that I'd like to open in Photo. The ones that are in RGB open just fine, but the ones in CMYK are transparant (sometimes with colored glitches). The assistant also adds an RGB working profile as if it doesn't recognize the colormode.

I can send the misbehaving .tiff files.

Thanks in advance,

Bauke

8bits tiff files in CMYK colour space is, to me, quite like

fitting a Trabant engine (8bits) into an Aston Martin!

I would be willing to have a look at a file as you propose.

My em@il is in my signature.

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

fitting a Brabant engine (8bits) into an Aston Martin!

I would be willing to have a look at a file as you propose.

My em@il is in my signature.

Hello Kodiak,

Thanks for your response!

The files are not created by me but are rendered in 3D modeling software by the client (and they later converted them to CMYK). I'll send one your way.

Best,

Bauke

Thanks… got the file!

It shows everywhere correctly except in Af. Photo

and my RAW converter… clueless!!!

www.kodiakmedia.at

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

H Bauke

Thanks for the file. Not only is this opening transparent, it is also opening as RGB instead of CMYK. I've passed this on to the Dev team, but can I ask where the file originated from?

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

fitting a Trabant engine (8bits) into an Aston Martin!

!

... am I right in thinking that in this case its even more astonishing theres no 16bit cymk option in AP?

... am I right… ?

8bits comprise 256 colours… good

enough for web purposes or limited

printing like font posters etc.

A good read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth

www.kodiakmedia.at

(Charlychuck)

... A good read: ...

... i do know that in fact. what i rather meant was something like 'affinity should have known also' - not to say that only 8bit support for cymk tif seems kind of a joke to me :)

8bits comprise 256 colours… good

enough for web purposes or limited

printing like font posters etc.

I'm sorry. But if the end purpose is for offset print (or volume digital), it is going to end up as an 8-bit at some point in the food chain. And I don't care if that is going to be an art poster run on a web press, a coffee table book or whatnot. It's going to be 8-bit CMYK.

Now, in this day and age, with modern print equipment, there are advantages to leaving images in RGB until the RIP as long as they are properly ICC tagged images. But even so, that is then the RIP that is going to convert anything over 8-bit down to 8-bit.

There are good arguments in the early/late binding camps (i.e., convert to CMYK in the design phase or let the RIP do it). Whichever way one sides on that doesn't matter if one knows what they are doing.

This is not to say that there are not limited-run prints being made with Hi-Fi color equipment. There is. But that is not everyone's normal, everyday print establishment.

... i do know that in fact. what i rather meant was something like 'affinity should have known also' - not to say that only 8bit support for cymk tif seems kind of a joke to me

What is a good reason to work in a 16-bit CMYK color space? I cannot think of a single one.

This is not to say that there are not limited-run prints being made with Hi-Fi color equipment. There is. But that is not everyone's normal, everyday print establishment.

What is a good reason to work in a 16-bit CMYK color space?

Because if I would deliver an A.D. anything less, it

will not be accepted as he needs all the flexibility

he can get.

www.kodiakmedia.at

(Charlychuck)

What is a good reason to work in a 16-bit CMYK color space?

control.

working in 8bit bit likely results in loss when tweaking - especially on tonecurves. just observe your histogram when doing so. in worst case might lead to bad results in printing e.g. striping or breaks in colors.

and even if thats not the case its better to have the control by yourself in regards of changing the color space and adjust if needed (which leads back to the previous) :)

This thread is about an issue opening an 8bit CMYK file in the app, not the pros and cons of working in the color space. Please keep information relevant to the original issue

you might have a real hard time and lots of time-consuming work if you wanted to post that beneath every thread where things like this are appearing ;) .

but anyway - youre right. even if it might be the case that the tifs of the OP might have been 16bit in fact - what would explain everything. sorry.

thanks for reminding.

you might have a real hard time and lots of time-consuming work if you wanted to post that beneath every thread where things like this are appearing ;) .

but anyway - youre right. even if it might be the case that the tifs of the OP might have been 16bit in fact - what would explain everything. sorry.

thanks for reminding.

The tiff's are 8 bit (at least according to Adobe Bridge).

The tiff's are 8 bit (at least according to Adobe Bridge).

as far as i can judge it, bridge is not supposed to be wrong with that. concerning my own tifs the bits always seem to be declared correctly.

what does bridge tell about embeded profile?

maybe some extra layer in yours then?

i would ask the client how they convert them - especially since the rgbs seem to work as expected. (or simply ask them for rgb and covert by yourself)

but anything i could tell is only guessing - the more as those who had seen them cant find anything special ...

The files are converted in Adobe Photoshop from RGB to CMYK with a FOGRA39-V2 U310 K100 G70S10.icc profile. I also have some photographic (non-render) images that have the same problem, but some others do open in Affinity while having the same specs (8-bit tiff with same colour profile). For that reason I think neither the colour profile nor the fact that some are rendered in a 3d modeling software can be considered the instigator.

In theory, I can open and edit them all using Adobe Photoshop, but for the sake of improving Affinity I reported this issue and would love to help solving it.