You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No Crosshair when i use "Paint Brush" ("Always show Brush Crosshair" is ON)

For Affinity Photo (maybe also on Designer)

i use Photo with a Wacom tablet. My Problem ist: i have no Crosshair when i use "Paint Brush" ("Always show Brush Crosshair" is ON). I only see the Contour (without the a CrossHair in it) but this is not exactly enough for me. Sometimes i have the WindowsCursor instead the Brushoutline.... Can you fix this, because this is a "no go" for me i  must return to evil Ph*** ;-)

Thanks

ps. by the way now, when i start a new Document i have the Crosshair! (when i use Paint Brush) In the Moment i open an old Document the Crosshair disapeard an the outline is there ... or sometimes the Cursor from Windows!!

• Staff

Hi FrankH,

Welcome to the forums.

Do you get the same results if you don't have your Wacom plugged in? Can you check a couple of brushes for me with and without Wacom and let me know which cursor you get.

Drawing: 1 & 2

Texture: Grunge 1 & 2

Thanks for the welcome!

So, i plugged my Wacom off.

The result is:

Crop Tool: okay (crosshair)

Color piker is ok (crosshair)

Selction Brush okay (crosshair)

Flood Selct tool okay (crosshair)

Freehand Selction Tool okay (crosshair)

Flood Fill  shows icon

Gradient shows Icon

Pain Brush tool shows outlines;-(

Color replacement tool shows outlines;-(

Pixel tool shows outlines;-(

Paint mixer brush Shows outlines

Rectangle tool Shows Crosshair, okay

all following tool Shows outlines or Icons

now with wacom ON... same document:

when i use the mouse ist all the same as without wacom plugged in.... BUT...when i now use the Wacom Pen i have now only the Standard Windows Cursor...for ALL Tools!

By the way... in Affinity Designer the same Problems;-(

Greetings

Frank

Hello,

I found that Affinity Photo will draw the nozzle outline for every brush that has only one nozzle. 

Otherwise, with two or more nozzles, the brush is shown as crosshair (inside a circle).

So the workaround is quite simple: I defined an empty nozzle (1x1 white pixel document, maybe transparent is possible) and added this nozzle to a brush : the brush is now shown as a crosshair. 

Beware, the brush flow is modified because of the second nozzle; reduce the spacing in the general properties of the brush if the "utility" nozzle introduces jitter.

Another way would be to clone the original nozzle, but where are they stored?

Still, I would prefer to have a default crosshair overriding the nozzle silhouette!

Bug report:

in the brush editing form, in the texture panel the "add" button is greyed if you call the form on a brush that has no nozzle (ie. "airbrush" in the "spray-paints" category).

So you cannot add a nozzle even if you change brush while keeping the form open.

post-50503-0-74088300-1485727374_thumb.png

Start with another brush to be able to add nozzle.

Feature requests:

- allow crosshair display to override nozzle display :-)

- it could be handy to be able to reorder the nozzles by drag-and-drop.