You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

need some advice with refining selections and mask layer.

- After selection with the selection brush I saved the selection as mask layer. But the mask isn't within the background instead it will be a separate layer. The tutorial "refining mask" shows the mask within the background layer (3.12 minute). Of course I can drag the mask layer into the background layer.

- The tutorial shows  with right click "refine mask" I can again edit the mask layer. Tried it with CTRL (I have no right click option with the apple mouse) a menu open but "refine mask" is not there.

Thanks

post-26285-0-83378400-1485507020_thumb.jpg

post-26285-0-36034900-1485507054_thumb.jpg

Hi photo16,

under Assistant Options, check that you have "Adding mask layer to selection" set to "Add mask as child layer". Also, you need to make sure that you have your background layer selected in the Layers Panel before creating the mask so Affinity Photo knows where to nest the Mask Layer.

Your second question is related to this: The Refine Mask command will only show up in the context menu when the Mask Layer has a parent layer, i.e. when it's nested inside your background layer. Make sure you have only your nested Mask Layer selected an do the Ctrl-Click directly on the thumbnail of the mask.

If you want to refine a mask that doesn't have a parent layer, you can always run Layer > Refine Mask from the menubar.

Excellent" kaffeundsalz! - thanks - I did not knew the second point either...

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Tried it with CTRL (I have no right click option with the apple mouse) a menu open but "refine mask" is not there.

Not directly related to your issue but I am curious: what Apple mouse are you using that has no right button function? As far as I know, Apple abandoned the single button mouse around 2005. I have an old "hockey puck" USB mouse around somewhere & even  a white "Pro Mouse," but I cannot imagine you are using anything that ancient with your Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks kaffeeundsatz and Good news, everybody.

Question 1 is solved with the assistant options.

Question 2 my mouse indeed has the right click … (I believe it is the mouse before the magic mouse). With the right click the menu shows the mask options, but not with CTRL it seems that right click is the only option.

Again many thanks for the prompt replies.

Question 2 my mouse indeed has the right click … (I believe it is the mouse before the magic mouse). With the right click the menu shows the mask options, but not with CTRL it seems that right click is the only option.

That is because now that all Macs ship with a second mouse button function, Affinity can use the CTRL key as a modifier for other functions, as do several other apps. It can be a bit confusing, but is no longer safe to assume that a CTRL-left-click & a right click are equivalent. :wacko:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7