You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Pixel Persona: Add/Subtract Mask

So, i'm not sure if i'm just doing it wrong or if AD is having a bug there, but when i take over a image from Photo with a mask that behaves exactly like in PS - i.e. take a brush and paint white/black to add/subtract, but as soon as i try that in AD - even the pixel persona - it wont let me add anymore. Regardless if i paint black or white, i always subtract.

Am i doing it wrong or discovered a bug indeed?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

This seems to be a bug, where white isn’t actually white. On my machine, I can reproduce this the following way:

• Open Affinity Designer, create new document.
  • Create pixel layer.
  • Switch to Pixel Persona.
  • Select paint brush tool and brush from the “Assorted” category.
  • Have a look at the Colour panel.
  • Something wrong. You cannot even paint with the selected colour.

As soon as you change #808080 to #FFFFFF, everything should work as normal. But there is obviously a problem with the colour wells. It looks like a wrong initialisation. I filed a bug report here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/34653-ad-154-colour-wells-bug/?p=169573

Hope that makes sense …  :)

Alex

post-1198-0-05032200-1485506673_thumb.png

I tried several different ways of recreating A_B_C's results & could not do so. Whenever I switch to Pixel Persona, whatever color is shown in the Color panel is usable by any of the brushes I try & there is no discrepancy in the numeric values vs the color wells.

I wonder if this might have something to do with the OS version. I am using OS X 10.11.6, as shown in my sig below.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I just noticed something else in your screenshot that may or may not be relevant or indicative of a bug I can't reproduce: the opacity slider is showing 0%.

EDIT: That would explain why the color well & numeric values don't agree -- that much I can reproduce. Maybe the Color well should fade to the checkerboard pattern like in the canvas to make that more obvious?

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

hey guys. 

So i noticed right after, that when i specifically click the black in the swatches it then works. So it seems there indeed is something off with the colors. I also have noticed general problems with the whole color wheel/thingy. Even back when i started to use AD i noticed that color values that are actually defined in cmyk get totally bonkers when you click the hex/rgb field, which you only seem to notice if you look at the values again, or export it, but the color on the shapes themselves look still fine. Hard to explain but i'm also not sure how it is atm, since i havent specifically tried it ever since.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

farbenfeuer, have you checked the opacity slider setting when you can't get painting on the mask to work? If it is set to 0% like in A_B_C's screenshot, I would not expect it to have any effect.

Affinity Photo 

I just noticed something else in your screenshot that may or may not be relevant or indicative of a bug I can't reproduce: the opacity slider is showing 0%.

Oh you are right, R C-R. Excellent catch. Mea culpa!  :(

Maybe the Color well should fade to the checkerboard pattern like in the canvas to make that more obvious?

This I would suggest … would that be an option?   :)