You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

33 minutes ago, owenr said:

Inkscape plus XQuartz is only half the size of Affinity Designer. Uninstall Affinity Designer to free up almost 1000 MB, if 200 MB for XQuartz is a problem. :D

OK, but it isn't just the file space that is potentially a concern. XQuartz installs dozens of files to support Apple's version of the X Window System, which really just provides the basic, bare bones part of the UI. Running Inkscape on top of that can cause some weird issues with performance, memory use, & interoperability, or least it did when I tried that a few years ago. Maybe things are better now, but I would much prefer to run native apps whenever possible.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

36 minutes ago, owenr said:

I find Inkscape has some useful tools which supplement my use of Affinity Designer.

I would probably give it another try if I could be sure I could easily remove all the files XQuartz installs if I decided I did not find it useful for my needs. Anybody know if there is an easy & relatively goof-proof way to do that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for all that info.

It's not the file sizes so much as I don't like cluttering up my system with legacy libraries. I occasionally do development (admittedly not much anymore) and I keep my system as clean as possible.

One thing I did like about Inkscape's X-Windows heritage is that it puts the menu where it belongs: on the main frame of the application window, not glued to the top of the screen.

On 8-12-2017 at 5:48 PM, GuyM said:

Hello, could you tell me how you managed to get it to just draw a line with an arrow on it in the 1st place? I would be most grateful for your advice.

Sure. You'll have to set the thickness to 0% and the hideous arrow looks a lot more appealing.
You can still use the stroke weight to set the thickness of the arrow.

Schermafbeelding 2017-12-12 om 13.47.01.png

• 1 month later...

Latest update from Affinity support: 

"Hi Guy,
We don't have a timeframe to when arrow heads will be added to our Affinity apps at this time. We don't have any mailing lists setup to inform users of fixes. However when we release an update, mail shots are done that include links to the updates release notes, which include information on fixes and features. You can also signup to our support forum and follow the roadmap threads for each app. You'll then receive a notification when a staff member edits this.
Regards
Lee"

I think I will give up on Affinity creating this facility.

1 hour ago, GuyM said:

I think I will give up on Affinity creating this facility.

Don't give up! As @R C-R mentioned on the first page of this thread, arrowhead line styles are on the current Affinity Designer roadmap. This means that they will be added in a free update to AD 1.x: we just don't know which particular 'x' that will be.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Trouble is the email I have copied above says they have no plans to do this in actual fact....if you read it it shows they have no intention of doing anything soon! Thanks for your encouragement though there are plenty of other apps that will do this simple thing !

1 minute ago, GuyM said:

Trouble is the email I have copied above says they have no plans to do this in actual fact

Where does it say that, Guy? o.O

2 minutes ago, GuyM said:

....if you read it it shows they have no intention of doing anything soon!

All it says is, "We don't have a timeframe". That just tells us the timing is uncertain: it says nothing at all about whether the feature will be added soon (whatever that means!) or not so soon. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I personally would bet on "not so soon" :-(

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.