You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to straighten the edge of an object

hi all,

i have several images of objects such as the attached image of a blanket. as you can see, the edges of the blanket are uneven.

what i would like to do, is to basically pull the edges of the blanket, so that i end up with the object being a perfect rectangle. 

is there a way to do this with affinity photo or even affinity designer? i didn't find anything about it in the tutorials or in this forum.

appreciate your help!

frank

post-40407-0-39620300-1485458976_thumb.jpg

You could try to make the edges straight with Mesh Warp tool in Photo, you will have to add many, many control vertices. For the crease in the middle Inpaint Brush tool might work; then fix the distortions with Patch tool or Clone brush. Not sure of the quality of the output though :\ Maybe others could help you more, good luck !

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672

Is this the sort of result you would be happy with?

post-17958-0-36441500-1485522447_thumb.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Or maybe this for a more subtle border effect

post-17958-0-26818500-1485523148_thumb.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I don't think there's any way to straighten out the entire blanket without a great deal of painstaking work, either with the Mesh Warp Tool or the tools in the Liquify Persona.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

i was actually hoping to get the entire blanket as a picture without cutting something off...  :)

I'm not sure I understand. 

If you mean the label, you can just copy that and move it back after you straighten the blanket.

While it might be done w. lots of work, given the amount of ripple in the perimeter, I suspect the mesh of the weave would end up rather distorted.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet