You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to preserve transparency with fill in Photo

It was very easy to preserve the transparency of a layer in PSD. But in Affinity Photo, I cannot figure it out.

I have a semi transparent layer with black art in it in varying degrees of transparency. I want to fill the layer but preserve the transparency in oder to change the colour of the art.

Cannot figure that out. Thought it would be very simple.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Hi, and thank you for your help. Unfortunately, your method did not give the desired results.

I have attached 2 screenshots.

One of them has the original transparent layer (Black) on the yellow background.

The other has the new transparent layer with white fill using the method you described.

You can see that many of the pixels, instead of being varying degrees of white transparency became gray. That shouldn't happen.

Any other suggestions? Thank you.

post-30410-0-98728200-1485454776_thumb.png

post-30410-0-40835900-1485454778_thumb.png

Hi! The workaround you described will of course do the trick, but you should be able to fill the layer directly. Your second screenshot looks odd; it seems that there's something wrong either with your fill options or with the layer itself. If you provide the .afphoto file, I can take a look and might be able to figure out what went wrong on your first attempt if you're interested.

@JimmyJack, both methods you suggest should work very well in AP and give the desired results. I can however reproduce the trouble @inspiringdesign had with the sample image he/she provided. Cmd+click the layer, go to Edit > Fill and see the outline pixels not being properly filled with the new color. This is especially noticeable when the original color and the fill color have a large difference in brightness, like black and white as an extreme example here.

It all makes sense when you think about it: Loading the layer's alpha channel to the selection, some pixels will get only partially selected because they don't have full opacity. Thus, the color fill will not fully cover the original color where the selection is semi-transparent. This means that my initial recommendation is in fact a silly one.

What I really miss in this context is a transparency lock feature for layers in Affinity Photo.

You don't need to mess with a marquee selection at all (in this case).

Make a copy of the black art and use the fill directly on that.... with your desired tolerance.

(oh and btw, some tools do have a protect alpha tick box..... not the fill though as you've discovered.

I feel ya though.....I too miss a global tick box in the layers section.)

• 2 years later...