You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please add customisable workspace

What is really missing in Affinity Photo for a Pro user is the ability to create customized workspace.

Especially now that many retouchers work on the set, this is very important.
We go back and forth from our normal place with our usual monitor layout to many other places with many different monitor layouts.
It's very annoying to rearrange every time all the panels to have our desired workspace.
So, having the ability to save and recall custom workspaces would be a great feature.

Professionals love to be fast and productive in the shortest time possible, so I think this is important for all the pros.

Thanks again for your attention!

Alex

I think the title for this thread is wrong, it should be "Please add the ability to save workspaces" as you can already customise it. I too would like the feature, but it isn't something that is pressing as I only use Affinity stuff on one computer and so once I rearrange things, they stay that way. While it would be nice to have, there are other things more pressing. 

Hokusai

• 2 weeks later...

I am very annoyed that I have to reset -organise my workspace on 2 monitors so frequently, pull your socks up designers/developers :( and create a "save workspace" feature!  It is not that complicated and it saves a lot of time especially when you charge by the hour, in the next update I expect this function to be available. So please make me :) Thank you in advance, it is so strange - you offer some really advanced features but forgot to apply some basics....

It is not that complicated

Are you a software developer, or are you just guessing? :unsure:

and it saves a lot of time especially when you charge by the hour

Whether you charge by the hour or not (or even if you don't charge at all) makes no difference to the amount of time that this useful feature would save! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I am very annoyed that I have to reset -organise my workspace on 2 monitors so frequently, pull your socks up designers/developers :(

If that's the worst complaint you can make about Affinity's software, it's a bit "First World Problem", isn't it? 

I imagine that the designers/developers - socks dutifully pulled up to regulation height - are extremely busy on important stuff... 

But as a sop to your righteous indignation, Serif is already working on "sticky settings", which will presumably include saving workspace settings.

Oh - and a question for you, as you seem to have a pretty high opinion of yourself, and you seem to know a great deal about everything.

You say:

it saves a lot of time especially when you charge by the hour

By which I imagine we're meant to be cowed by the fact that you're (oooh!) a "professional".

What kind of "professional" chooses to use software that is costing him - and by extension, his client - money?

I wouldn't hire a "professional" that behaves so obviously unprofessionally...

(Executive Summary: less self-opinionated pomposity might equate to more traction for your opinions, Digiteyez. Nobody here cares about, or is impressed by, your - or Alex' - claims of professionalism. You're just another customer, and your "professional" opinions are worth no more than anyone else's).

Keith Reeder

enough professionals bashing. It irks me too that AD/AP regularly places all panels in the middle of the screen and I have to move them manually several times a day. (Not to mention that toolbars go missing all the time when in separated mode.)

It irks me too that AD/AP regularly places all panels in the middle of the screen and I have to move them manually several times a day.

Same here. Serif's work on "sticky settings" will no doubt address this, but I'm not sure I share Keith's optimism that saving workspace settings will also be included.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If that's the worst complaint you can make about Affinity's software, it's a bit "First World Problem", isn't it? 

I imagine that the designers/developers - socks dutifully pulled up to regulation height - are extremely busy on important stuff... 

But as a sop to your righteous indignation, Serif is already working on "sticky settings", which will presumably include saving workspace settings.

Oh - and a question for you, as you seem to have a pretty high opinion of yourself, and you seem to know a great deal about everything.

You say:

By which I imagine we're meant to be cowed by the fact that you're (oooh!) a "professional".

What kind of "professional" chooses to use software that is costing him - and by extension, his client - money?

I wouldn't hire a "professional" that behaves so obviously unprofessionally...

(Executive Summary: less self-opinionated pomposity might equate to more traction for your opinions, Digiteyez. Nobody here cares about, or is impressed by, your - or Alex' - claims of professionalism. You're just another customer, and your "professional" opinions are worth no more than anyone else's).

Greetings, Condescending Troll.  Care to describe an issue someone working in a creative field can have that *isn't* a "First World Problem"?  Speaking of no one caring, it seems safe your useless presumptions and not so subtle implications this issue isn't important can be kept to yourself.

Ability to save a custom workspace and project templates would be awesome. I'm sure this is gonna arrive sooner or later. Hopefully sooner than later ;)

It would be awesome.  When I first started using the software, I assumed it existed and I just didn't know how to find it.  It seems basic, but it's essential.  I teach Digital Arts, and the lab computers are set to reset after every shut down.  Every time students come back, they're looking at the software like it's never been opened before.  Importing a saved workspace would be a massive time saver.  Saving and importing custom worskpaces to handle different types of projects would also be really nice.  It makes the most sense to me to save them as an additional "Custom Persona" based on the Photo Persona, with a drop down box to select which custom persona you'd like to use.

• 10 months later...

Well I am not as much a Professional as all of you Testosterone members. However, after working  with an on computers for over 45 years now, I am also in favour of  A customizable a Saveable Workspace. However,  I do not see it as a huge time waster in setting up the workspace to a style I prefer.After all,  if you really know your program it should not take that much time in rearranging the tools to suit.

There are certainly many more  utilities  to add or improve upon in the current  version of Affinity - both Photo and Designer.

Oh, and Remember this adage:    "A bad workman always blames his tools". So  if you are wasting too much time in rearranging the workspace, may I suggest you EITHER learn how to Speedily rearrange the workspace or learn to use it in its Vanilla layout.

Strip-Loutil-du-m%C3%A9tier-english-650-

45 minutes ago, LyricsGirl said:

Well I am not as much a Professional as all of you Testosterone members. However, after working  with an on computers for over 45 years now, I am also in favour of  A customizable a Saveable Workspace. However,  I do not see it as a huge time waster in setting up the workspace to a style I prefer.After all,  if you really know your program it should not take that much time in rearranging the tools to suit.

There are certainly many more  utilities  to add or improve upon in the current  version of Affinity - both Photo and Designer.

Oh, and Remember this adage:    "A bad workman always blames his tools". So  if you are wasting too much time in rearranging the workspace, may I suggest you EITHER learn how to Speedily rearrange the workspace or learn to use it in its Vanilla layout.

Strip-Loutil-du-m%C3%A9tier-english-650-

Nice comic strip you got there! 

4 hours ago, LyricsGirl said:

I suggest you EITHER learn how to Speedily rearrange the workspace or learn to use it in its Vanilla layout

Vanilla layout does not help much if every time your monitor setup changes all your panels drift to middle of the screen, default document window is just 1/4 size of the screen and Toolbars just do not appear regardless menu commands.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 7:54 PM, Fixx said:

Vanilla layout does not help much if every time your monitor setup changes all your panels drift to middle of the screen, default document window is just 1/4 size of the screen and Toolbars just do not appear regardless menu commands.

You should investigate as to WHY your monitor is doing this.NOT the program. Check if Resolution etc is adjusted by graphics card or program independant.