You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch Processing of Open files?

Hello all,

I use FVR to browse my images, it is fast, reliable and I like it.

With that in mind when I have opened a number of images in AF how do I go about using Batch Processes on them? The ADD button opens the 'Finder' but does not show the files already open in AF.

I realise I can choose from the finder by using the file names shown in AF but this seems counterintuitive and convoluted when my chosen images are already open IN AF.

I regularly want to export jpg (small and basic) for my wife's use on the internet and my own postings and basic batch/macros are all that is needed.

This oddity is my only question on this process.

Regards.   Sharkey 

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

Hi Sharkey,

Currently you can only select images to batch process when using File > New Batch Job. More features are planned for batch processing as development continues so hopefully being able to batch process already opened files will be possible.

Thank you for that. Oddly, I would have thought that selecting open files would have been the first option on the list. Hey Ho!

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, matisso said:

So, over a year and a half have passed since this issue had been raised, may I ask how is this rolling?

regards,
Matt

Is this going to be part of the (possibly) mythical AF1.7????????

• 3 months later...

Exporting each single opened file is really cumbersome. I was searching for a solution for that, thinking that there must be one, and came accross this thread. Come on, developers/support/moderators. Is there really no option for exporting all opened files in a row with a few mouse klicks? What is the export persona good for? When I have several files opened and switch to the export persona in order to define the exact export parameters and switch then to the next file, I am I am bounced back into the another persona and have to repeat everything for the second file. Same is true for the next 23 files.  "§$%&/()'#=(/*+&%$§%&/()=??

2 hours ago, Tschens said:

What is the export persona good for? When I have several files opened and switch to the export persona in order to define the exact export parameters and switch then to the next file,

Depending on your needs, File > Export might save you some time. The Export Persona is more about slicing an image into pieces to export separately, or exporting multiple sizes of a single image in one operation.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Depending on your needs, File > Export might save you some time. The Export Persona is more about slicing an image into pieces to export separately, or exporting multiple sizes of a single image in one operation.

That's exactly the way I do it. However, when I open >10 files in order to insert my copyright logo via a macro, it is not relly convenient to click >10 times file, export, etc etc. The saving procedure takes much longer than the real work on the files. The exporting procedure is currently an absolute no-go for me. Is there really no solution for that issue?

Some software includes a File > Close All facility which is missing from AP (and AD).

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

9 minutes ago, Tschens said:

when I open >10 files in order to insert my copyright logo via a macro,

Depending on what the macro does can you not incorporate it (add it) into the File > New Batch Job screen?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 3 years later...

So 3 years later this still seems to be impossible?
I always open several photos in parallel. Then I have to do some photo specific things such as removing the background.
But then the processing is the same for each photo. I'd like to be able to apply Batch Processing to all open photos.

1 hour ago, taranakisara said:

But then the processing is the same for each photo.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Depending on what "the processing" is that is the same, you have these choices currently in Affinity Photo:

1. Record a macro while working on the first image, save it in the Library, and apply it to the other images.
  2. Or, if the processing is adding Adjustments, generate a LUT from the adjustments in the first image, save it, and apply it to the other images.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 year later...

I'm using 2.10 and was really hoping by now to be able to batch process open files, AND also to be able to batch process files via drag and drop. These seem like pretty serious limitations in the batch feature that many have been waiting for. I'm hoping I'm just missing where to find these enhancements. Please.

44 minutes ago, Jiminak said:

I'm hoping I'm just missing where to find these enhancements. Please.

Nothing has been changed in this area.

-- Walt
PC: