You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.6 Beta – when?

I'm on Windows, and tend to use AD pretty heavily when I get around to it, sometimes logging in 3-4 hours stretches. Off the top of my head, I can recall it crashing on me a couple of times, though I can't remember exactly what I did to bring it down. I have this vague recollection of me doing something pretty goofy when it happened, but damn if I can't remember the specifics. From my experiences, it's been pretty solid overall.

AP is slightly less so, especially when you consider I've spent a fraction of the time with it in comparison to AD. I use it on my SP4 more often than not, and I know if I end up hammering through the undos, it can sometimes go unresponsive.

I could one day go through them both, trying everything I can to get them to crash, but my basic experiences have been that both are stable, with some sneaky bugs lurking in the background you'll come across on occasion. Pretty standard stuff for a first release on a new platform.

I'm glad to know most people don't experience the same frustrations I do. I believe there no two users are the same, so this may explain the differences.

Anyway, I took some notes today, so here are today's bugs and annoyances. (Those marked "logged" are the ones I know Serif is already aware of for some time.)

- Bug: Grouped two objects and one of them (a rectangle) went completely outside my artboard and became invisibe in the process

- Bug: Paragraph panel: small height, hides most of its content, have to scroll for everything (logged)

- Bug: Continuous export not working (logged by me)

- Performance: Incredibly slow typing when there are several text objects

- Doesn't remember individual Save As folder locations (logged by me)

- Bug: Copy/paste attributes between constrained groups resizes text elements

- Bug: Grouping constrained objects makes all objects disappear

- Crash: unhandled exception 0x80004003 when moving constraints group inside a layer (logged)

- Won't copy/paste text properties inside text when editing

- Performance: Changing assets can be very slow

- Performance: Searching assets can be incredibly slow

- Assets are not re-filtered after changing category

- To drag multiple artboards, I must select the last one and drag at the same time. Not consistent with other objects' behavior

- Artboards must be clicked to enter candidates list. For other objects, hovering is enough

- Bug: symbols are lost when duplicating artboards (logged)

Sorry for the long list... I hope this gives you some idea.

I'm glad to know most people don't experience the same frustrations I do. I believe there no two users are the same, so this may explain the differences.

Anyway, I took some notes today, so here are today's bugs and annoyances. (Those marked "logged" are the ones I know Serif is already aware of for some time.)

- Bug: Grouped two objects and one of them (a rectangle) went completely outside my artboard and became invisibe in the process
- Bug: Paragraph panel: small height, hides most of its content, have to scroll for everything (logged)
- Bug: Continuous export not working (logged by me)
- Performance: Incredibly slow typing when there are several text objects
- Doesn't remember individual Save As folder locations (logged by me)
- Bug: Copy/paste attributes between constrained groups resizes text elements
- Bug: Grouping constrained objects makes all objects disappear
- Crash: unhandled exception 0x80004003 when moving constraints group inside a layer (logged)
- Won't copy/paste text properties inside text when editing
- Performance: Changing assets can be very slow
- Performance: Searching assets can be incredibly slow
- Assets are not re-filtered after changing category
- To drag multiple artboards, I must select the last one and drag at the same time. Not consistent with other objects' behavior
- Artboards must be clicked to enter candidates list. For other objects, hovering is enough
- Bug: symbols are lost when duplicating artboards (logged)

Sorry for the long list... I hope this gives you some idea.

This post should be under the Bugs category. I hope someone reads it for you.

:poke: :poke:

Hey.

HEY!

...whenzit comin'?

Whenitz ready! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I know the solution. The Serif of Nottingham is being evil and keeping all the riches for itself.

Let’s organize a band and take it away from it. Who wants to be Robin Hood? :D

I think a joke like that might be misinterpreted.

While the wait is inconvenient for members, it is better that the finished product works. Windows users must remember the stressful times of when Windows 8 first came out with a pile of bugs which were not addressed. As for the silence, Mark said in another topic or this one (too lazy to look) that they were super busy with the 1.6 update. So that is clearly their focus right now. I know I defend Affinity a lot, but hey, why not? They're hard workers.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

While the wait is inconvenient for members, it is better that the finished product works. Windows users must remember the stressful times of when Windows 8 first came out with a pile of bugs which were not addressed. As for the silence, Mark said in another topic or this one (too lazy to look) that they were super busy with the 1.6 update. So that is clearly their focus right now. I know I defend Affinity a lot, but hey, why not? They're hard workers.

We’re not going to steal anything, don’t worry. Just convince the upper powers to be more open to the needs of the common folk. ;)

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

​Man, it never fails. You get yourself all stoked up for some good old fashioned corporate espionage, only to inevitably find out it's not really happening, and you're getting yourself worked up over nothing.

I swear, I'll never get to use these lockpicks...

​Man, it never fails. You get yourself all stoked up for some good old fashioned corporate espionage, only to inevitably find out it's not really happening, and you're getting yourself worked up over nothing.

I swear, I'll never get to use these lockpicks...

Excuse me? Let's not jump to assumptions. All I said is that it can be misinterpreted. I think I know it won't actually happen, guys, but the meaning to that post indicates hurtful speech towards Affinity, especially since 00Ghz addressed them in the next post as "Upper Powers." While I completely disagree and don't really have a say in it, I was practically saying, "Be careful with what you say. It can be hurtful"

I really don't appreciate that you think I'm getting stoked up, Renzatic. I try to understand where people come from.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Geez. Me thinks someone got hit with the political correctness stick once too often.

While I appreciate there are members & lurkers here for whom English is not their native language, no one really needs to take it upon themselves to to correct other members when it is pretty clear it's all in good fun.

Heck, I think I'll take the next available flight to England just to camp out at Serif HQ just like an Apple fan-boy (sorry, and fan-girl, and fan-fill-in-the-blank) does at an iPhone release. That way I can actually watch Serif's merry band of worker-bees (oops, mixed metaphors) upload it to their servers so I can be the first to get the highly anticipated incremental (and seemingly glacially slow) 1.6 update.

Just in case you didn't figure it out, Brian, the above was written with my tongue firmly planted in (my own) cheek...

Am I waiting for the 1.6 update--and/or beta? Sure. I want to see if things are fixed, from work-flow things to some more speed enhancements. I could give a hoot about new stuff if I have to jumo through a hoop or two to get a decent PDF. I'll put up with the idiosyncrasies in order to aid some of Serif's customers. Heck, it's sort of fun (and I am addicted to helping). But I won't do it for actual day in, day out production.

Yours truly, Mikey

I apologize to everyone who got offended to what I said. I did not mean for that to happen. It was taken the wrong way, and please understand I was not actually trying to correct anyone. Part of my problem is that I can't always find the right words. Then when I thought that next post was directed at me, the next thing I said in defense made matters look worse. I have no problem with people who are not literal. That is fine. And I thought I already explained that I did not take the above post literally. Please trust me, guys, it is not in my character to act the way everyone is assuming. It is being taken the wrong way. I struggle with speech and interpretation, and therefor, the wrong message is being sent out.

I apologize to everyone who got offended to what I said.

Don't fret it, man. It didn't bother me in the least. If anything, I was more worried about possibly having offended you.

It's the internet, and things sometimes come across in ways they weren't quite intended. It's just one of those things that happens every once in awhile.

Thanks, everyone. This was stressing me out, because I love it here. I'm glad we're on good terms now. I love you guys.

Hey you want to hear something funny? I just got the Serif of Nottingham joke. Wow! Slow, no?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.