You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.6 Beta – when?

Im on the last Aurora from 18.04.2017. And still no update to beta. It;s almost a month... Any news when it will happen?

Sing the last song from Aurora and it will happen.  ;)  Sorry, no news. This will happen after 25 replies.

@BypeBrurb: Welcome here. Sorry, this is about Affinity Designer, not about Affinity Photo, not about Aurora HDR, not about aurora borealis.

Sorry, no news. This will happen after 25 replies.

Twenty-four and counting.... :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This thread can finally die and be burried! 1.6 is here!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Looks nice! (Specially the "numerous bug fixes and stability improvements" part.) It seems to address several user requests. I look forward to the Windows version.

1.6 is out? But I didn't get notified of an update, and the App Store shows 1.5.5 as being the latest version. How do I get it?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Thank guys. My mistake. I forgot that it would be in beta first. And my luck. I actually have Mac, so I'll give this a try.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

MikeW, on 03 May 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:snapback.png

If your experience was common in the slightest the forums would be inundated with bug posts.

It would be interesting for you guys to take a look at the Bugs on Windows forum now, it's inundated with bug posts  :)

I do enter that section every day or so. And I still don't, as of today, see a great number of crashes like you report.

I also do not see that section as "inundated." But seeing how that section is for reporting bugs, what do you expect to see written there? While I do believe that even the stable release has more issues on more computers than I think there ought to be from reading the forums, I am not privy to Serif's wider customer base--far more users than forum members--and what ratio appears to be having true application bug issues versus none.

I believe, as I have stated before, AD isn't really ready for prime-time production environments (even my single-person production). After running today's stable release, I still believe that is true. But it isn't because of bugs that I believe that.

Apple computers are like consoles - you got very limited amount of configurations to deal with. So it will be lot easier to pin down problems I would imagine. Windows is whole another beast - you are dealing with thousands different configurations, some outdated and some so new that hardware sellers are still actively updating the drivers to fix some issues after initial release. Add to that fact that widows market share in operating systems is massively bigger to not even 4% of MacOS (on desktop - I dont count mobile toys :P). I can only imagine how much harder that will be to maintain windows version. Not to mention that Affinity it is VERY new on that platform. So bugs? Sure. Its normal.

As for production - I suppose it highly depends on what you are doing. I teamed up AD with Inkscape (for image tracing and some deformations) and recently with a bit of Gravit Designer (for its super easy knife tool). Using 3 types of software instead of one - certainly not ideal. I guess its a trade off for Adobes cloud. But I haven't encountered a thing I could not make with that combo. I could certainly not work on AD alone just yet, but I have faith in Affinity team fixing its flaws and adding much needed features. None of that features is "light UI" btw. Its fine that its there but its just cosmetics.

There is one thing I'm confused about in 1.6. I am loving the beta, but there is still no line continuation for the pencil or brush tool, but a staff member said that it would be in 1.6. Maybe it will be in a later beta since the first just opened?

Either way, I can work around it. I didn't realize in the past that the "Join Curves" button can join more than two curves. So I could imitate the style of connecting curves, then select all, and join them.

Im on the last Aurora from 18.04.2017. And still no update to beta. It;s almost a month... Any news when it will happen?

Sing the last song from Aurora and it will happen.  ;)  Sorry, no news. This will happen after 25 replies.

@BypeBrurb: Welcome here. Sorry, this is about Affinity Designer, not about Affinity Photo, not about Aurora HDR, not about aurora borealis.

Just as a point of information, I discovered last night that BypeBrurb – yes, I thought it was a strange username, too! – had used the common spammer's tactic of quoting a post picked at random from elsewhere, in this case from here (on the mozillaZine Forums): the post in question refers to Mozilla Firefox Aurora, the developmental channel for pre-release versions of the Firefox browser.

Alfred spacer.png

Interesting. The user's avatar and username are not linkable either. For everyone else, you go right to their profile.

Interesting. The user's avatar and username are not linkable either. For everyone else, you go right to their profile.

That's presumably because the account has been deactivated. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.