You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.6 Beta – when?

While it's true not everyone uses Facebook / Twitter, even so, that's where most of the news and stuff goes on, unless of course Affinity do wants to keep their buyers up to date, then I would say instead of forums, email would be best option.

Forums while it's more close knitted and private, only a handful of peoples actually uses the forum or read the forum, in comparison to emails (which on its own is only a handful of peoples)

But yeah I do understand the frustration of not using a specific platform, but I feel email would be better that's for sure.

What mostly brings smile to my face is that "I am not on Twitter! And I never will be because PRIVACY!" nonsense. Privacy... People are connected to internet, ISP got all the logs, many additionally have phones that can more or less (with GPS ON even precisely) tell your location and you are concerned about privacy because of.. Twitter or FB? Silly. You dont have to post anything - thats how I am using FB mostly - checking news. Same goes for Twitter.

You are forgetting one major thing (and the fact that you are forgetting this shows that it works): knowing the location of a person isn’t the only privacy concern (or not even the worst), it’s the combination of knowing the location, knowing who you are connected with, knowing what you like or are interested in (by knowing which websites you visit, for example), knowing when you are online checking your news etc., and then ever so subtly influencing your behavior with all this knowledge about you. Different entities (like ISPs) may know one or two things about you but they don’t connect the data the same way Facebook does. I, for example, don’t want ads that are personalized for what Facebook thinks I may like or be interested in. I don’t want to be influenced without my consent. I don’t want to get caught in a filter bubble because some company analyzes my browsing behavior and takes over the thinking from me.

That’s my personal privacy concern.

And sorry for getting off-topic, but I had the feeling this had to be clarified because some people don’t seem to understand the real issues with this.

@VIPStephan
You dont want personalized adds? Well, I dont want ANY. Thats why I am blocking them. "Some people" know how to use ad blockers :) Companies still will get my data? Not as much as you think because surprise surprise! - I am also blocking trackers. For example right now on this very forum page I blocked tracker form Google Analytics while finding two more that I dont mind. Plus two requests were blocked by ad blocker. You see - "some people" know how to use internet to their advantage without giving away data or exposing themselves to constant advertisement.
I wouldn't use FB at all (its unbearable with all the marketing, all the "people you may know" or "you may want to like" suggestions. I hate that - I know what I want without suggestions). But there is this little addon called "F.B. Purity" and all I see is my news feed. All the rest of the nonsense they are feeding to less tech savvy users is gone. Filtering not only adds but also content with chosen key words (as I am not interested in certain type of dramas people like to discuss constantly - politics for example).

Before influencing me they have to find a way to gather my data and show me their advertisement ;)

I'm a huge fan of affinity designer and photo, and always find myself every now and then coming to the forums and looking at the features in the betas, I never download the betas - I just wait till theyre updated, I just really have high hopes for these apps and affinity and love seeing new features added.. haha this is me procrastinating every now and then- checking forums for future updates of apps I like.. better than cat videos on YouTube lol

checking forums for future updates of apps I like.. better than cat videos on YouTube lol

You've obviously been watching the wrong cat videos! :D

https://youtu.be/5d2CiHpND-g

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You dont want personalized adds? Well, I dont want ANY. Thats why I am blocking them. "Some people" know how to use ad blockers :)

I’m well aware of ad blockers and tracker blockers; I’m using them myself, of course. When I said I don’t want personalized ads I meant I don’t want that personal information about me is gathered in order to serve ads that the company thinks is what I might be interested in. Of course I’d rather not have any ads at all in the first place.

Still, the way companies like Facebook (which is only exemplary for many others) are connecting data you wouldn’t even think is collected (like at what times/how often you access your feeds or whatever, and with whom you are connected) they have a clear profile of you that can be used against you to their advantage in ways we can’t even imagine (yet).

But let’s not digress: a note about latest developments on this forum (in addition to the social network channels) would be nice.

a note about latest developments on this forum (in addition to the social network channels) would be nice.

Note: The too light textcolour of the standard search field has not been corrected.  ;)

Hopefully not next Jovian month.  ;)

Which Jovian month did you have in mind? Even Ganymede only takes about seven Earth days to complete one revolution around its planet. :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Which Jovian month did you have in mind? Even Ganymede only takes about seven Earth days …

Well, that would be a terrible delay. Worse than that of APu. A specific moon or planet? It’s your choice. Jovian month was meant.  ;)

this post is 26 january, 10 pages of comments,

when is the 1.6?   within 2017?

Since you clearly prefer posting sarcastic comment before reading the thread I will be happy to inform you that on Affinity blog they stated:

"UPDATE April 2017: V1.6 updates will be slightly later than planned, rather than being released at Easter as we initially hoped. Please follow us on Twitter or Facebook to get notified as soon as they are available."

and yesterday in comments:

"1.6 is still being developed, once we have more information we'll let everyone know."

I understand that you find absolutely necessary to update NOW (or probably even months ago) and that you are suffering great deal of not being able to use all the new functions that we know nothing about yet. I am also fully aware that unnecessary struggle with manual checking Twitter or Facebook account for news may deeply frustrate you causing you further - probably irreversible - damage to your mental health. Your heroic fight will not go unnoticed. History will judge Affinity harshly for selling for 50 bucks software that can replace best on market and then not updating it every month. Also - I am sure that constant asking that very same question we know answer to already will speed up development immensely, so thanks for doing it!

UPDATE April 2017: V1.6 updates will be slightly later than planned, rather than being released at Easter as we initially hoped. Please follow us on Twitter or Facebook to get notified as soon as they are available.

@Affinity, would be good to also communicate in the forum directly as these are actually people reporting bugs and improving the software so guess would be fair to inform them/ us directly 

[twitter] 

any news will be announced in our Newsletter

When? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? "Turns round and slaps children"!

Can we see the sea?.

Can we see the sea?. Can we see the sea?. Can we see the sea?. Can we see the sea?.

Drives car off the cliff answering both questions.

Hello Everyone,

Being a software developer / designer - ah... - multidisciplinary creative?! - creative developer (to avoid the hacky 'coder')

--- well --- you know?!  ;)

I don't understand that push for v1.6! - on one hand AF & AP aren't fundamentally broken...

in spite of few little things missing/not working properly, which is fine by it self, considering the age of the software..

Secondly, there is already a new macOS/iOS looming on the horizon. In fact, we all see June 5th,

'what will break' our software and needs to be ironed out until late-ish September.

APFS for instance ( due its case sensitivity - which by it self breaks for example all Adobe software ) - And trust me, APFS is a big deal! 

That's why i highlight that here. I don't care about it's security here that much, more about the end of data degradation!

For those, like me, having 30 years of data to preserve (I started coding at the age of 5, music composing around the same time)  

- i value that little detail quite a bit! -- just to have a real world example!

Point being.. 

Be excited, that these guys work hard, to provide a usable and more and more feasible alternative to Adobe/Corel/OpenSource software. 

Be more excited, about the time these guys, spend to experiment with actual new and innovate features or even just new touches on things that need to be re-thought. 

And don't forget they work still on Windows versions, as well iPad versions - and i'm not sure how much of their resources that takes.

Motivate the guys! Cheer to them! - And they will show/tease that way new ideas, perhaps even come up with innovative ways to incorporate feedback.

And stop behaving like kids ob the backseat of a car... nagging all the time when the trip is over (1.6 beta out < see the absurdity?!) and repeat even you've got what you wanted! 

Thanks for reading!

Happy designing...  let's make the guys proud.

I was going to stay out of the debate, but I agree that everyone should be more patient. This crew works way too hard. I wouldn't say not being patient, however, is any reason to get mad at those waiting since this can be viewed as an upsetting subject. Try putting yourself in the shoes of both viewpoints. As for me, I understand. I'm eager to use the update, but I am fine waiting. I think it's best to leave this topic alone until the update. Posting here won't make the update come faster.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

In a sense, I understand the people who are asking these questions, and while they won’t speed up the development process by doing so, their comments make sense in expressing that Serif has created a momentum that could easily be lost. Though I personally believe it is important not to jeopardise the hard-won user confidence by issuing half-baked features and not to compromise the solid foundations of the design suite by rashly adding new components (when looking at the far-sighted way of development, I am not afraid this will happen), I must also say that I heard quite a few voices in my local community that were concerned, for instance, that Affinity Publisher won’t be issued early enough to get all the people on board who see the option of using the pre-subscription Creative Suite vanish with the new developments of the macOS infrastructure. So I think it does, at least, not unconditionally make sense to call the people who are asking these questions childish …  :unsure:

Slightly off topic but, any chance of getting a little tweak on the "show selections in layers panel" preference for the 1.6 roll out?

Just a suggestion and I do love and really appreciate you adding that pref but it would be great if as you click on a different element in your document, the previous element layer stack re-closes... otherwise you end up with a layer panel that is crazy long.

It's a workflow thing and again, just a suggestion. :-)

Come on easter!! ;-)

Here's a related post about excessive scrolling from the request section:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/35066-effects-layer-panel-behaviour-and-reseting-back-to-defaults/

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1

@vwollschlaeger

I think your keyboard is broken

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.