You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.6 Beta – when?

We're into April. Are we talking weeks or months for a beta of v1.6? If I understand it correctly, the issue with multi-point vector gradients will be resolved. Today I had to recreate by eye in Illustrator a five-point vector gradient that I couldn't export from Affinity without it becoming an image layer below a clipping mask. Useless for print. The result from Illustrator, even using the same hex values, is not the same as the original from Affinity. This put me in an awkward position with a valued client.

I truly wish Affinity had a preferences option to turn OFF every bell or whistle that would lead to rasterised content. 

Each time I see FH in action, I can say it's really better than AI.

As Rui mac, I've tested a lot of softwares for replacing AI and AD is the best.

Expression 3 was also a great software with unique tools, brushes in particular with so many options. But the interface was too old school.

So as I understand the release of 1.6 is being a little delayed, and that's fine you already did an amazing job, but can we know if the new features will only be the Stabilizing Brush and the Light UI? Again that's fine. It is just by curiosity.

I don't want to undermine the features mentioned above, but like I said in another thread UI/UX designers like myself asked about a prototyping persona and one member of your staff told us that it already exist but was disabled because you guys wanted to upgrade it before releasing it again. And the same member said it may be on the 1.6 version. So like I said I was wondering because to be honest I'll be so happy to put away my Adobe tools and Axure. 

Sorry to insist about that.

Thank You and again keep up the good work

So as I understand the release of 1.6 is being a little delayed...

Where did you hear that? Isn't it still coming around Easter?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

UPDATE April 2017: V1.6 updates will be slightly later than planned, rather than being released at Easter as we initially hoped. Please follow us on Twitter or Facebook to get notified as soon as they are available.

@Affinity, would be good to also communicate in the forum directly as these are actually people reporting bugs and improving the software so guess would be fair to inform them/ us directly 

Same here.

I don't tweet and facebook for me at least is not where I would go first for Affinity news. Having said that, I guess I'll start, although it never seems to be that active...

Well that's a bummer, but I'm glad that the update said it will be "slightly" off from the intended release. The information was never actually inaccurate. The actual original information did say "around" Easter; not actually on it.

Is there an option to get notified by email instead? I'm closing my account with Facebook for certain reasons, and I don't have a Twitter account.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I’m also not on Facebook or Twitter (and am still happy – or despite that? :) ) and I didn’t even know it was supposed to be released around Easter. I was just wondering why the devs were so quiet and figured that they’d be working on something really great. ;)

I agree. I understand that social networking is one of the greatest ways for marketing in today's world, but privacy should really be more prioritized. And this is not directed at Serif since it's easy to see they care. I mean the overall business world. When the internet first came out, privacy was a big thing. Now there is so much encouragement to share your information.

Their main policy seems to be releasing the product when they feel it's ready. Therefore too much announcement may create too much complain. You can see a handful of people seen the blog and their post about releasing, yet many of us here talking about it.

So announcing it in all media will probably make it more chaotic, distracting from the product creation.

Blog and Forum is good enough. Plus the software does announce when there is an update. As long as the updates are good and make the designers happy. Then all is good and people will eventually get the product. 

Anyways as we were talking about happiness, so just to let you guys from Serif know that it would really make me happy if you guys can collaborate with zeplin or sympli :P in the next release. Best of all reveal your prototyping feature in 1.6.

Follow me: Instagram | Dribbble

@mdriftmeyer

There is no objection. But then the team has to look after three platforms. In my opinion the most important platform is the forum here.

To be fair, the additional work to post the same post on Facebook, Twitter, and the forum is negligible.

This is so funny how you guys make a big issue from using Twitter and FB :D You don't need to have account to check Twitter page of Affinity, you know that? You dont even have to check anything AT ALL because software will let you know there's a new version available. And you are still making a big deal out of nothing.

No, software won't let you know anything at the moment: The beta, which alerts a new beta version, doesn't work any more, and the released version doesn't alert the release of a new beta. Keep in mind, that not version 1.6 is in question, but 1.6 beta.

Besides that: Why being that impatient? When the beta is ready to be released, it will be released.

Ow, beta. Sure, then we will have to check. Twitter or FB or here.

What mostly brings smile to my face is that "I am not on Twitter! And I never will be because PRIVACY!" nonsense. Privacy... People are connected to internet, ISP got all the logs, many additionally have phones that can more or less (with GPS ON even precisely) tell your location and you are concerned about privacy because of.. Twitter or FB? Silly. You dont have to post anything - thats how I am using FB mostly - checking news. Same goes for Twitter.

And you got the point - "Why being that impatient? When the beta is ready to be released, it will be released.".
Simple as that.

Nezumi,

As for me, it wasn't my intension to make a big deal of it. I just wanted to share that social media wouldn't be my preference, and it's completely understandable if others don't feel comfortable with it either. If there is no other way to get notified yet, then I'm in no rush. That's fine. Notifying users of updates is convenient, but it's actually not Affinity's job for us to stay on top of things.

I think we are all simply eager to see new stuff because we are passionate about that software. Trust me, I want to see new things like crazy ;) We just need to give them time to make it and I understand perfectly when deadline is not working out. So hey, lets just enjoy that waiting with hope that at the end of it is something awesome. Regards to all of you guys, Happy Easter if you happen to celebrate it.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.