You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.6 Beta – when?

Regarding selection highlights on the tools or interface items, I can see where there could be some improvement there, but specifically for the tools because the cursor usually changes to that icon, I find that's enough of an indication for me to get on with doing what I need to do.  

A similar situation that I think needs addressing in this regard currently are the brushes in the brush panel. There is some inconsistency here but most of the time after selecting a brush and painting, the brush highlight in the panel disappears so you don't know which brush you're using. It's not a show stopper, but part of the experience that could be improved. 

I'm finding this happens more often in Designer than Photo.

Another thing, in Photo if you choose a brush that uses the "pixel" tool setup vs the "paint brush" tool setup, it will automatically choose that tool. Designer doesn't yet do this. 

Not complaining, just pointing things out. :-)

Typing fast only works up to a point. If I want to choose MT Symbol, typing M, T and a space takes me to MT Extra, and it stops dead in its tracks. It doesn't matter how fast I type S after the space, so if I type M, T, space, S and press <Enter> I don't get the font I wanted.

Typing fast always works if you don’t forget to use the arrow keys.

I'm not complaining either, but that does make it complicated just get a font quickly.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm not complaining either, but that does make it complicated just get a font quickly.

I must confess I haven't really explored using fonts that much in Designer yet, beyond when I have included the odd word or two in my illustrations. 

I'm waiting for the distortion toolset before getting serious in that regard.

Less than 2 seconds. Arrow keys are easy to find and use. How many fonts do you use that needs the arrow keys? Create Text Styles and you will be quicker next time. Until we get a search field this is nothing in contrast to real problems.

Less than 2 seconds. Arrow keys are easy to find and use. How many fonts do you use that needs the arrow keys? Create Text Styles and you will be quicker next time. Until we get a search field this is nothing in contrast to real problems.

Agree. Like convert line to shape… Arrows on the lines and… pattern around path… vector pattern fills… and other basic vector sw operations :-( Those would make me happy. At least for while :-) Looking forward to 1.6!

I'm waiting for the distortion toolset before getting serious in that regard.

Amen to that. That is one of the features on the roadmap I look forward to the most. That and 'Convert selections to vector objects.'

Less than 2 seconds. Arrow keys are easy to find and use. How many fonts do you use that needs the arrow keys?

It's still doable, sure. I just mean it seems unnecessary for grabbing something from a flyout. I would rather just one keyboard shortcut (typing the letters). For actually editing art, that to me is different since it gets more involved.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

If this is already in the road map or else where, then please ignore.

I would like to suggest a few features/behaviors added to type management.

When searching for font I can only get the menu to skip the the first letter. When you have hundreds, maybe evens thousands of fonts this can be daunting task to overtake. I would enjoy being able to type in the font directly or have the skipping feature continue to skip progressively as new characters are typed in. [A] brings up "A" lettered font names, [R] brings up "Ar", bring up "Ari", etc.

I would also suggest the font selection drop down to start from the last font that was chosen.

Looking forward to 1.6! :)

I found a way around this for the Mac version - go to Font Book - create a new collection and call it All (or whatever you like) than grab all your fonts and drop them on the new all collection - restart Designer / Photo - select text you want to change - go to Character pallet - click on All Fonts and scroll down to All (or whatever you called your new collection) then click back in the font name box to the right of your new collection now you should be able to just use the arrow keys to scroll up or down to the next font alphabetically from where you last left off - this would be really handy if the font list display could be hidden so you could focus on the live update when scrolling through fonts on the page

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

I found a way around this for the Mac version - go to Font Book - create a new collection and call it All (or whatever you like) than grab all your fonts and drop them on the new all collection - restart Designer / Photo - select text you want to change - go to Character pallet - click on All Fonts and scroll down to All (or whatever you called your new collection) then click back in the font name box to the right of your new collection now you should be able to just use the arrow keys to scroll up or down to the next font alphabetically from where you last left off - this would be really handy if the font list display could be hidden so you could focus on the live update when scrolling through fonts on the page

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. It still just starts off on the pinned most used fonts, not the font's location on the list.

Is it me or the devs got a lot less responsive and a lot more secretive than 1.5 years ago?

I believe it's better that way. This forum should be a community driven support forum. Serif doesn't have a huge team so I don't expect them to run a live support chat here ^^

I believe it's better that way. This forum should be a community driven support forum. Serif doesn't have a huge team so I don't expect them to run a live support chat here ^^

Sure... but.... answering 1-2 times /month is a bit too little I think.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Sure... but.... answering 1-2 times /month is a bit too little I think.

:blink: hmmm, yeah  :ph34r:   

actually Dave is around sometimes and Matt is also around in the Share your Work area but the Photo team is mostly dead atm (even no change log in two releases)   :o

Last year 1.5 was announced in Jan 2016 and the first beta was out in June. It may take this long this year. Although we are way better off this year having 1.5 as our last version than last year having 1.4.2 (or something like that) at this time.

I also miss hide/show/lock/unlock all.

My preferred way of activating it is clicking the layer checkbox with a modifier key held down.

I'd also appreciate being able to click on a tick for a layer and then drag down the column of ticks having any tick under my movement toggle.

I'd also appreciate being able to click on a tick for a layer and then drag down the column of ticks having any tick under my movement toggle.

What's wrong with clicking to select the first layer in a contiguous sequence, Shift-clicking on the last one to select it and all the layers in between, and then ticking/unticking the checkbox for any of the selected layers? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

True, but as far as I am concerned, “the other way” has become a habit, deeply ingrained by the use of “the other software” … and I feel it is a little more natural and simple …   ;)

I have some hope that it might be related to Apple's rumored announcement of new iPad Pro models  :ph34r:

could be but is very unlikely, if anything, they will have an adobe live demo, see last time 

Morning all,

Would I be able to ask one simple question.

The Affinity package for £50. Would this be a one off payment in total or is there a hidden catch down the line?

Ive just been talking to Adobe about Photoshop/ Lightroom package and they have mentioned that their package is £120.64 or £20.20pm (2-3 users).

Please could someone advise?

Kindest regards
Amanda

• Staff

Morning all,

Would I be able to ask one simple question.

The Affinity package for £50. Would this be a one off payment in total or is there a hidden catch down the line?

Ive just been talking to Adobe about Photoshop/ Lightroom package and they have mentioned that their package is £120.64 or £20.20pm (2-3 users).

Please could someone advise?

Kindest regards

Amanda

Hey Amanda, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

It would be a 1 off payment with no hidden catches or subscription fees. There will be regular updates and beta builds to participate in too. You can also find more info out about the user license here:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/license/

After the purchase, you will be eligible for all free updates after that (1.6, 1.6.x, 1.7). These are all considered minor updates, which are all free. The second payed update will be version 2.0, which I'm guessing won't be released for four more years.

After the purchase, you will be eligible for all free updates after that (1.6, 1.6.x, 1.7). These are all considered minor updates, which are all free. The second payed update will be version 2.0, which I'm guessing won't be released for four more years.

I would say 2.0 will be out this or next year based on the rates of updates.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

I would say 2.0 will be out this or next year based on the rates of updates.

I've only been a member here for a little over a year, so I don't know. I just assumed that the 1.X updates are released yearly since I got my hands on 1.5 last year, and now 1.6 will be launching soon.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.