You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hand Tool (space bar) while creating or resizing a shape

Hey guys,

First of all, wonderful job on this app. It's so promising and I'm so happy to be a part of the community. I haven't been able to integrate it into my daily workflow because it's missing some key points, and every time I use it I stumble upon a lot of those.

One small detail which actually makes a big difference on regular usage is the fact that while creating a shape or resizing it, I can't hold space bar to move it. That's a feature most vector graphics apps out there include, and it makes life a lot easier in terms of positioning elements on the screen.

Does anyone else miss this?

It’s one of those things that may sound obscure, but you’ll come to rely on it as a time-saver, since you don’t have to draw a shape, reposition it, and then resize in three separate steps.

I definitely use this feature almost daily (in other apps). As you’re dragging out a shape, before you lift up on the mouse button, the Space modifier should let you reposition the origin (with the shape remaining at its current size), until you’ve lifted up on the Spacebar. And it doesn’t conflict with any other functions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

+1 Yes, this is a real time-saver. Reduces several operations to one.

i.e. Instead of draw shape, change tools, move shape, resize shape, change tools, move... etc  - all the moving and resizing is done while you draw the initial shape!

i.e. Instead of draw shape, change tools, move shape, resize shape, change tools, move... etc  - all the moving and resizing is done while you draw the initial shape!

Just for the record, you can move a shape with the Shape tool, by dragging its border. You can resize it by dragging its handles. You don't need to change tools for this.

Just for the record, you can move a shape with the Shape tool, by dragging its border. You can resize it by dragging its handles. You don't need to change tools for this.

True as that may be, it doesn’t address the request at hand. The spacebar modifier could be made to change the behavior of the cursor as you’re dragging out a shape, as it does with some other popular software packages. This is the time saver we’re interested in seeing implemented.

(Moving and resizing a shape after it’s created — another matter entirely — is a given.) :)

• 5 months later...

Was about to ask if this feature is under consideration. This is something many Adobe users were used to and would be an awesome +++ to already great library of features Affinity Designer already have. So instead of creating a new post I just say it here.

+1

• 10 months later...