You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need help with Performance Settings in AP

So I'm pretty new to AP so I'm thinking that I must have changed something that is causing me some headaches.  When I first started the Beta I never experienced an lag or slowness with AP.  Now that we're out of beta, I've had nothing but problems.  I don't know what I've changed but AP is taking up so much system resources that all of my other programs lag out and AP actually will show "Not Responding" every time I make even the smallest of changes to a layer or image, AP will lock up and cause my entire computer to lag.  The mouse will even sometimes lock up or start jumping around the screen if I try and move it..  It's even more frustrating when I'm working with Hi-Res images.  My question is, what is the ideal settings under the Performance setting?

RAM Usage Limit?

Disk Usage Warning At?

Undo Limit?

View Quality?

Etc......

My System Specs:

Intel Core i7-3517U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.5GHz

8GB Installed RAM

AP version: 1.5.1.54

It's gotten so bad that If I even resize or move an object on a layer I have to wait 15 to 20 seconds before AP will respond and actually move the object.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RAM Usage Limit should be set to your RAM, the operating system will handle this anyway,

if you want to play safe, leave about 2GB free for other programs but it has never been an issue for me

Disk usage - I would not care, has this warning ever happened to you?

Undo Limit - I don´t care much but there should be a part in the AP Help explaining it, if you don´t save the history with your document it won´t matter I guess

view quality is important

you set it to nearest neighbor if your PC feels to slow and otherwise you set it to bilinear 

Dithering and precise clipping also stress your PC if activated

- so you can just activate all if you don't have any issues

- if you have issues you can disable them and see if they have any actual impact on how your work looks, it will depend on your work

the other settings are different on windows I think so I don´t know

you can use this macs to get an idea about the performance of your PC

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/32907-affinity-photo-performance-comparison-data-sheet/?p=159980

cheers

If it is like other apps that have that preference available, the Undo Limit determines how much application memory (real or virtual) can be devoted to saving previous steps in an open document, as well as (for Affinity) how much file space is used to store History data when saving the file. I doubt it would have much effect on performance unless too high a setting causes a lot of paging between real & virtual memory (disk thrashing).

According to the Preferences help topic, it seems to say that dithering gradients speeds up performance:

Choose whether to dither gradients, when working on projects, to speed up performance.

But it isn't very clear about that.  :unsure:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you both for your input on this.  I'll make some changes based on your input and see if I get better performance.  The lag and the fact that Affinity Photo constantly is telling me that it is "Not Responding" when I make simple changes has to be something related to the performance settings that I currently have.  Well, that or a bad install.  I don't experience this issue with other programs that I have running.