You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving and exporting .tiff

Saving and exporting .tiff

Can someone throw some light on the following please.

The 'save as' button seems to all intent to be redundant as there are no options.
It does nothing more/different than the 'save' button.
In almost all other programs the 'save as' feature
allows the file being worked on to be converted and saved
in a full range of formats. Quick, convenient and efficient.
This ommision is extremely frustrating.
Especially as your 'export' feature,
which would seem to replace the 'save as' in other programs,
is somewhat cumbersome and can cause other problems with the exported file.
For example:  
when image file is exported as a .tif and then opened in a
word processing or DTP program (eg Word, LibreOffice, QuarkXpress) it becomes 'corrupted'.
Though, surpise, surpise, it opens cleanly in all other Serif programs!
It also opens properly in Photoshop, Windows photoviewer, Photos, though not in ViewNX.
Have tried to attach  images illustrating problem but am told file type is not permitted - help!.
All this is extremely frustrating.
I have always been a fan of Serif software and Affinity has much to recommend it
BUT much of my work entails processiing raw and jpeg images, converting to .tif
and setting them in a desktop publishing program prior to print.

I notice also that exported tif files have been compressed (LZW), seemingly automatically.
I can find no means to control compression in the export preferences/setup or anywhere else.
Again this is annoying as many of the images I process require no compression.

I had hoped that AFP would allow me to centre all my photo processing around it.
Sadly, these problems I have outlined inhibit me from using it for much of my work
and hope that either I have 'missed' something in using AFP
or that you can correct these problems.

Any help appreciated

As with other apps, the "Save As" option allows you to save the current file with a different name or to a different location. It is also used in Affinity when you have opened & edited a file not in the native Affinity format & want to save the file in that format.

Export is different from this in that it is for saving the file in any of the non-native file formats Affinity supports, & supports a wide range of options each of those formats supports. Unfortunately, Affinity does not currently support changing the compression of the exported tiff file type. I believe this has been mentioned in the feature requests section of this site.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 years later...

I just switched to Affinity designer and am not happy now seem i will go back to Coreldraw, when i export a tiff file its corrupt when i take it to my large format printer i think it need to be improved if they want me back

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to submit a paper to a Rockefeller Press Journal. We collect .tif images using a CCD camera, crop and adjust grey levels in affinity photo, place them on an artboard in designer where we label them. When I try to use export to .tif from Designer the .tif file can be successfully opened by mac "preview", but is corrupted when I try to open it with NIH's imageJ (which my collaborators use and like to view images). I suspect that when the Rockefeller Press journal tries to open these .tif figures they will be corrupt. Aren't all .tif files just that? Why would one program successfully open whilst another does not? Is there a fix?

Thanks, D

Possibly imageJ doesn't know how to deal with compressed TIFF files? If you click on More... at the bottom of the Export dialog, you'll get additional options including several for compression. You ight change the compression style being used, or choose None, and see if that helps.

Or, when you say imageJ shows them as corrupted, can you be more specific?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Many thanks! You have solved the issue for Designer and ImageJ -- when I export without compression, I do just fine.

For grins, I tried exporting from affinity photo to tiff and see the same issue I had had before with designer, with or without compression. Any ideas1893006701_tifffromAffinityphotoopenedinpreview.png.fc8ed8ea390385f3fe7da6c07a815d18.png239846189_tifffromaffinityphotoopenedinImageJ.png.bb8545040c897d33a08ecbcbf047c906.png

Sorry, no ideas.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1