You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo pdf manual for your enjoyment.

ve2cjw

Oh...'Serif'... I'm slow, lately....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 months later...

ve2cjw,

Hi.  So the pdf manual is a compilation of the entire help file?  I greatly appreciate your undertaking such a huge project and making this available to us all, but would you mind my suggesting an improvement on it?  As you may know, many find pdfs difficult on a small tablet as the text doesn't reflow, and the pdf you made available doesn't have an index and there's no way to add one through Adobe Acrobat.

Would it be possible for you to make an epub version of this file available?  If you've done all you care to on this project, I can understand that, so may I ask if you'd be willing to make the text version you made the pdf from available?  If you did, I could perhaps go through it and (a) enter the missing CTRL, OPTION, etc. indications where these are missing, and (b) use conversion software to produce an epub version of the file to reupload in this topic, perhaps even with an index?

I already DID prepare a text version from the pdf using Adobe Acrobat Pro's features, intending to try this, but it ran most of the words together and thus is unusable for this purpose.

Thanks regardless,

--Cyranose

If done unofficially, that could have some issues.  Very serious ones. The way I see it, even allowing this thread going on is yet another sign of Serif's infinite kindness, patience and tolerance... This book is made out of copyrighted material. Is not our property. The whole thing would have been immediately shutdown in the very first post by any other company. Even more, distributing it illegally you might be damaging one (the printed book) of the very few income sources the company has around Affinity... heck, is how even a lot of open source projects do pay the expenses, with printed books, manuals. I don't know you, but I want to do what is in my power for this small company to keep afloat.... It is a rare case of inexpensive excellence, and can be damaged seriously by things like this...

So, if you get even to publish an epub file, whoever does it might find legal issues, I don't recommend that, I'm serious... Even if Serif itself, and its members wouldn't be keen on proceeding so , as would clearly go against their always-kind karma. But some times, contracted law firms, or the investors, or whoever, might step in if trespassing certain limit, even Serif liking it or not, depends on what is signed (I have no freakin' idea about how is the situation, BTW. I'd act way WAY more cautiously, in any case.... ).... and that would not be nice for whoever making this available (legally, even in very small scale! ). I am not making an exercise of imagination, just remembering a bunch of cases I watched dangerously close during my long life as an employee in matters very related to this kind of stuff.

Apart from the legal aspect, there is a very, very strong ethical, moral aspect, the one which I really care about (but just because I would never do the thing ; the risk is actually very high), aspect that in my case, and I hope, in the case of the majority, should be the only real concern here. Serif makes absurdly inexpensive products. Several times (actually, many, many) cheaper than other products of these capabilities, and as permanent purchase despite the trends of some of the big (and small....) firms, so that more people can access it (yes, I've read from several company members, that is part of the reasons behind it ) , not only the ones with very deep pockets. IMO is the closest thing to open source in the sense of a generous approach (only, not in business philosophy!), just with the difference that they are indeed paying a lot of salaries, renting, software and a huge etc,  is different than having (also very talented) volunteers coding which mostly have their salaries apart, and everything from other source. So, in a way, it has EVEN more merit. IMHO .  Selling an extremely well crafted book, premium quality for a really fair price (again, they give you A LOT for your money), is one of the few sources of income for the company around the Affinity line. I'd feel really really bad if attempting to get a free epub, which would not be even provided by the company, and, if you read this whole thread, against the company interest and opinion (so, without their approval, quite the opposite, as we are reading), instead of purchasing a book into which, very obviously, went a lot of love.

Sorry if you find my POV shocking, or simply do not agree. That's the main point of a forum, to allow different opinions (within some limits! almost non existent here, again, thanks to this kindness). I don't pretend to offend anyone (well, I never ever do), and obviously everyone here wanting a book is because they see like me, how great are these two apps, AD and AP (we're in the same boat) . I just wanted to introduce here a third way : Buying the book. Really, reading from a book still gives me that nice, warm feeling (and great to have one in the little table for going asleep) which I don't fully get with electronics devices. Is a disappearing habit, so we should not worry about reading a traditional book from time to time, is not like this habit is going to take over, ever again. I'd make the "sacrifice". Serif deserves having some particular detail with them... ;) 

I hope is not taken in the wrong way, but if so, well, so be it...

But hey, just my 2 cents of an euro.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

SrPx, you raise some good points.  Corel makes a book on its program Painter free available in Kindle or ePub formats, and that's what I was thinking in terms of.  The Affinity programs are amazing, and so is Serif for selling its amazing programs (NOT renting them) for such reasonable rates.  I too really appreciate the company's philosophy, and don't want to upset or harm them in any way. Oh, well, there goes that idea.  (Hint:  If Serif wanted to produce such a document and charge for it, I'd gladly purchase it, and I'm sure many others would as well.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you so much for this manual! The video tutorials are great...but I’m old school (71+ years old) and I just like reading manuals for software and hardware! I hated it when computer and software companies dropped printed manuals to save money! Anyway...thank you again for this! By the way..I also purchased the Affinity Photo Workbook from the company so guess my conscience is clear! But...to be honest...that’s a huge, heavy book, and I can read this file on my iPadPro with a bit less discomfort!

Doc Holliday 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 5:03 PM, ve2cjw said:

I have produced a pdf version of the Affinity Photo manual that you can read without starting the program.

1000 thanks for that. I begun a similiar project for my native language, but i donot get the pciture copy/paste into Libreoffice. I get this pictures into pages, but with pages there is a big lack - it does not creates a TOC, and you cannot create Heads and subs by search/replace any format-attributes.... 

So how did you make it?

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 4:03 PM, ve2cjw said:

I have produced a pdf version of the Affinity Photo manual that you can read without starting the program. It can be interesting to put it on your phone or tablet to read when you have some time to spare. Since the file is too big to upload here, I have put it on Dropbox for you to download. It is current for the last version of Affinity Photo. Comments welcomed. Here is the link:

https://dropbox.com/s/d3uxmmypdx9ruzw/Affinity%20Photo%20Manual.pdf?dl=0

Great work. I don’t suppose you have similar for designer? Maybe even Publisher.

especially all three for the iPad.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration