I am enjoying Affinity a lot, but I have come across a strange issue with the edge of a layer mask. I was trying to make a spoof composite of friend into a photo (geeks will probably spot the source).

I have attached screen grabs of the process so you can see the issue.

(1) Working in Affinity Photo 1.5.1 I kept trying to refine the edge of the composite figure on the far left. I couldn't get it to blend nicely, I painted in the mask edges with soft brushes and blurred it using Gaussian Blur. Always looked ugly.

post-50089-0-47526700-1485351050_thumb.jpg

(2) So I gave up, exported the Affinity file as a PSD file and when I opened it in Photoshop CS6 the mask edge was fine! I have not done anything to the exported PSD file other than open it.

post-50089-0-29660400-1485351051_thumb.jpg

(3) I re-imported the Photoshop file back into Affinity and again the mask edge was fine!

post-50089-0-25182700-1485351052_thumb.jpg

I closed the original Affinity file and reopened it to see if there was something going wrong with updating the screen but the issue was still there.

There is something odd here and it has undermined my confidence in using Affinity as my main app since I use layer masks constantly and prolifically in my professional work.

Does anyone know if this is a bug or is something else going on? Why would a round trip to a PSD file make this work?

to save time, I would provide the original file and the psd as attachments, so that the QA can reproduce it.

In the mean time I would copy the layer masks from the psd to the original file to see whether they have been changed during the roundtrip.

Maybe is the same issue I have from time to time when I use the brushes.

Sometimes it seems the brush is not working at all.

Initially, it was my fault, as I had inadvertently switched to the color replacement brush. But now I'm 100% sure I use the proper brush tool and I've found out that something goes definitely wrong as creating a new document and painting the brush work again. In fact, if I close the document where I'm having the issue and re-open it, the brush works fine again.

Not sure why this is happening though and I don't know how to reproduce it.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Hi John-C,

Thanks for the files. This is very strange I've taken the mask from your original file and put the mask from your PSD and switched between the two and they're the exactly the same - I even set one to a difference to make sure! I'll get it passed onto development and see what the issue could be!

Thanks

Many thanks. I hope it gets sorted, I would love to be able to ditch Photoshop. I am really enjoying Affinity Photo and trying to get to grips with Affinity Designer too. Right now I am working with CorelDRAW, I was a FreeHand user before that and never could stand Illustrator.

Thank you to everyone for developing and porting these two great apps to Windows.